Guest viewing is limited

The BUCATSTATE Hamster Cage Metal 2.0 or the MEWOOFUN Wooden Hamster Cage Large?

Oh my goodness. I'm glad you took her in. That cage is tiny. Is it a dwarf or Syrian hamster? In the meantime you could maybe put her cage inside a playpen area or sectioned off area of the room and leave the door open so she can come in and out regularly if she wants to, but she will probably be fine for a few days just with a bit of out of cage time if she wants to come out.
Its a dwarf, she looks like a vinter white. She is very friendly and we will be putting her in a playpen :)

She’s very likely a hybrid, they can look like either species, not that it matters as diet etc are the same & they make such lovely pets.
I also think she is a hybrid. We are really in love with her ❤️❤️

So this is what we came up with: 😂

IMG_6280.jpeg
It is a big plastic bathtup. We could not live with her having to be in such a small cage one more day.
We did not had a second wheel so we had to do it like this so she could use her wheel.

I am a bit concerne about her though. She seems to be “wet” around her neck area, and i think she has a bit of red skin as wel (it is really hard to tell).
I did not notice this yesterday.
Could it be some kind of stress reaction because of the move?
It would really stress her even more to go to the vet but maybe we need to do that.

IMG_6274.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

Oh she is so beautiful! 😍Is it possible to post a picture of the skin? I expect she may be too nervous for that as it would mean you holding her. I just thought it may help members give you advice.

Well done for rescuing her. It is wonderful she is going to have good care now. I look forward to hearing which name you choose. :)
My oldest son named our other hamster, so this time his little brother got the chance.
He has named her “Ida”, and it suits her really well. He already loves her and talks about her all the time ❤️🥹

Ida is gorgeous, a real little beauty & she looks happy there!
Not sure about the wet area, it doesn’t sound like a stress reaction, at least not one I’m aware of.
Could she have been rubbing against the water bottle or something like that, maybe while she’s been exploring new things?

Oh she is so beautiful! 😍Is it possible to post a picture of the skin? I expect she may be too nervous for that as it would mean you holding her. I just thought it may help members give you advice.
This is the best I can do, but I do not think it shows. But you can see her, kind of greasy, fur.
But i didn't think she looks red, when i looked at her today though.

tempImageIE8Kk6.jpg

I do not think it is the water bottle as the fur is dry today but kind of greasy :/

It may be that her diet has not been as good as it could have been before you got her. I would see how she is after a couple of weeks on a good diet and it may settle down. Also if she hasn't had a sand bath before that might be something to do with it perhaps. Or it could be a strange stress reaction if her care hasn't been that good before you got her. I'd just keep an eye on it and hopefully it will settle with your good care and diet.

It may be that her diet has not been as good as it could have been before you got her. I would see how she is after a couple of weeks on a good diet and it may settle down. Also if she hasn't had a sand bath before that might be something to do with it perhaps. Or it could be a strange stress reaction if her care hasn't been that good before you got her. I'd just keep an eye on it and hopefully it will settle with your good care and diet.

Regarding the sand bath, i thought the same think. Maybe her fur needs to "get use" to it.
She did not get a propper mix of pellet or seeds, so maybe that could be a promblem as well (y).
I will keep a close eye on it.

I have observed rescue hamsters can have greasy fur as some people do not realise they need sand. Now that she is with you and getting the right care, I am sure her fur will be healthy. :)

If it just looks greasy & not red it could just be that she’s been scent marking a lot.
If she’s using the sand bath then it will probably remove most of that unless she keeps doing it.
As long as she seems fine in herself then I would just keep an eye on her in case anything else is going on but it doesn’t look like anything worrying at this stage I don’t think.

Update on Ida:
Her fur looks perfectly fine today, shiny and healthy 👏👍

We are in the making of her new cage:
tempImageGdcKHB.jpg
tempImagefY7GKQ.jpg
tempImagemwQHHg.jpg

Not sure how I am liking the BUCATSTATE cage yet, one minute I think it's great an the next I do not :ROFLMAO:

That looks amazing! Where did you get the houses at the bottom, with the drawings on them?

By the way, I wouldn't recommend having the bendy bridge on its side like you have. Hamsters can get their legs trapped in the gaps between the logs and it can cause quite serious injuries sometimes.

Back