Should you upgrade your cage - if and when?

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
This post is mainly regarding the two welfare guides published by the Blue Cross and PDSA in the Uk. While these are a very welcome improvement to standards of hamster care, educating newcomers into starting out right, as with any good thing that comes along, there can be situations where people feel worried or pressured. Apparently in some areas of social media, people are being pressured to upgrade immediately to meet all these standards. So thought a post was relevant to help clarify things, and from this forum's point of view.

Consider the stability of the hamster

If you currently have a hamster in a cage that it is at least 80cm x 50cm with about 6" of bedding, and your hamster is settled and happy with no troubling behaviours, then there is no need to suddenly upgrade them. Unless of course it's something you were thinking of doing anyway. Change can be stressful for hamsters too. Upgrading cages can be done in a way to avoid stress but it depends on the hamster as to whether it's a good idea. An older hamster may be better left in their current cage and avoid the change, providing that cage is at least 80cm by 50cm and they enjoy out of cage time and interaction with you. A new hamster needs at least 2 to 3 weeks in a cage, ideally longer than that, if they're still a baby - before contemplating upgrading it.

Achieving deeper bedding and when it may or may not be necessary

If you currently have a hamster in a 100cm or larger cage, but don't have 20cm of bedding or can't achieve that for various reasons, then again, as long as the hamster is already settled and happy, there is no need to stress about trying to achieve it as long as you have at least 6" of bedding. A digging box or deeper area of bedding in part of the cage is an added enrichment as well. Unless of course you had been planning to upgrade already.

If you have a hamster with medical issues or neurological or mobility issues, then the amount of bedding you have should suit the hamster's specific medical needs, regardless of any guidelines. So for example, a hamster with mobility issues may not be able to walk well with deeper bedding or need a flatter surface like hemp mat over a layer of bedding. A hamster who is unwell and weak may struggle to get in and out of deep bedding and feel more secure being able to manage with a few inches of bedding and not have to struggle to dig themselves out if they dig down.

Timing

There is no sudden rush to go out and upgrade - unless you were planning to do so and it can be more important to time any possible changes, to suit the individual hamster's circumstances. A hamster that is old or unwell would benefit from avoiding upheaval and change maybe more than any benefit of a larger environment with deeper bedding. Providing they are already in a cage that's at least 80cm by 50cm.

However an older hamster that is in a cage that is too small, will still benefit from a cage upgrade to be able to have plenty of space at floor level when they can't climb any more or climbing is too risky.

People also sometimes need time to save up for things or to plan them around other things going on in life (eg a house move). So any upgrade should really be planned preparation, rather than a sudden rush to change everything.

So basically - there should be no pressure to do something immediately, but to weigh up the situation, depending on the hamster involved and prepare and plan carefully.

If you do plan to upgrade

Another reason not to immediately rush to upgrade is - to research the right cage carefully - if you do want to upgrade. Some cages might be the right size, but height needs looking at, depending on whether it is a dwarf or Syrian hamster. Some of the lower 100cm cages would accommodate deeper bedding at one end but not a Syrian sized wheel as well as 6" of bedding in the rest of the cage. But they might accommodate a 20cm wheel for a dwarf hamster quite easily. Changing from a cage to a tank style when a hamster is used to a cage, could take some adjustment. So it all needs to be considered carefully to avoid stress for the hamster - even though a cage upgrade is for their benefit - there needs to be a balance.

Also you might decide to make a cage, and that can take time to be done properly and safely.

When you do need to upgrade

If the hamster is in a cage smaller than 80cm by 50cm (eg Hamster Heaven size) then the cage does need upgrading, and when doing so, it would be best to meet the guidelines of approximately 100cm by 50cm or bigger.

So basically - nothing has changed in particular. 100cm or larger cages and deeper bedding for hamsters is something that has been widely known for quite a long time and many people are doing this already, and the forum guidelines already recommended these things also.

Edit - this post and the replies were originally posted in April 2023 - updated in July 2023

Update January 2024. Three out of four of the main animal welfare charities now recommend 100cm x 50cm cages for all species of hamster. Wood Green recently updated their guidance from 80 x 50 to 100 x 50.

Last edited:
I actually have been wondering if my enclosure is big enough for Dango. He seems completely happy with it, but I know that you can ALWAYS go bigger with hammies. I have a 75 gallon tank that is 49 inches (124.46cm) length, 21 inches (53.34cm) height, and 19.5 inches (49.53cm) width. It has about 955 square inches of floor space. (2425cm).

I was just curious, do you think this is a decent size? Or would it be better to upgrade someday in Dango's life? I wouldn't upgrade now, since he's only just getting used to his enclosure, but maybe someday along the line.

I think it's a very good size :) An excellent tank for your hammy. I don't think you'll need to upgrade from that. The 100cm by 50 cm recommended (or larger) is about 800 square inches.

You took care over making sure you got something suitable - I remember from your other post you considered the 40 gallon (which would be about 90cm by 50cm) which is also a good size - and you weren't sure so went bigger. Which is usually a good thing to do as people sometimes get something and wish they had got the bigger one afterwards (as I did! My poor first hamster had two cage upgrades - but he did fine). Dango has a lovely set up in there too.

Last edited:
Thank you Maz! Just out of curiosity, would this same tank size be suitable for a Syrian as well? Probably not a female, but at least a male Syrian?

Yes it would. In fact one of the main points about the new UK guidelines is that the cage size doesn't need to be any smaller for a dwarf than for a Syrian. Dwarfs are smaller and have smaller items, but equally as able to run long distances. Having said that, it can be easier to have more enrichment for a dwarf if items are that bit smaller.

So your tank would also be a great size for a Syrian hamster too.

That is wonderful to hear! Thank you for the information. I'm SO happy people are becoming more educated on hammies. I hope the US gets some better guidelines too...😔

For the first month or so Albert lived in a P@H XL cage. Albert is very good at communicating with me when he's not happy. Because of this and my struggles with the 2 small doors I upgraded his cage to a HH. At the time of the upgrade the HH was seen as a suitable cage size by animal charities etc.

Albert isn't showing any signs of unhappiness in his HH so I'm not going to upgrade him. If in the future Albert does start to show signs of unhappiness, stress or boredom then I will upgrade if after getting advice and opinions I feel it would make Albert's quality of life better.

This post is mainly regarding the two new welfare guides published recently by the Blue Cross and PDSA in the Uk. While these are a very welcome improvement to standards of hamster care, educating newcomers into starting out right, as with any good thing that comes along, there can be situations where people feel worried or pressured. Apparently in some areas of social media, people are being pressured to upgrade immediately to meet all these standards. So thought a post was relevant to help clarify things, and from this forum's point of view.

Consider the stability of the hamster

If you currently have a hamster in a cage that it is at least 80cm x 50cm with about 6" of bedding, and your hamster is settled and happy with no troubling behaviours, then there is no need to suddenly upgrade them. Unless of course it's something you were thinking of doing anyway. Change can be stressful for hamsters too. Upgrading cages can be done in a way to avoid stress but it depends on the hamster as to whether it's a good idea. An older hamster may be better left in their current cage and avoid the change, providing that cage is at least 80cm by 50cm and they enjoy out of cage time and interaction with you. A new hamster needs at least 2 to 3 weeks in a cage, ideally longer than that, if they're still a baby - before contemplating upgrading it.

Achieving deeper bedding and when it may or may not be necessary

If you currently have a hamster in a 100cm or larger cage, but don't have 20cm of bedding or can't achieve that for various reasons, then again, as long as the hamster is already settled and happy, there is no need to stress about trying to achieve it as long as you have at least 6" of bedding. A digging box or deeper area of bedding in part of the cage is an added enrichment as well. Unless of course you had been planning to upgrade already.

If you have a hamster with medical issues or neurological or mobility issues, then the amount of bedding you have should suit the hamster's specific medical needs, regardless of any guidelines. So for example, a hamster with mobility issues may not be able to walk well with deeper bedding or need a flatter surface like hemp mat over a layer of bedding. A hamster who is unwell and weak may struggle to get in and out of deep bedding and feel more secure being able to manage with a few inches of bedding and not have to struggle to dig themselves out if they dig down.

Timing

There is no sudden rush to go out and upgrade - unless you were planning to do so and it can be more important to time any possible changes, to suit the individual hamster's circumstances. A hamster that is old or unwell would benefit from avoiding upheaval and change maybe more than any benefit of a larger environment with deeper bedding. Providing they are already in a cage that's at least 80cm by 50cm.

However an older hamster that is in a cage that is too small, will still benefit from a cage upgrade to be able to have plenty of space at floor level when they can't climb any more or climbing is too risky.

People also sometimes need time to save up for things or to plan them around other things going on in life (eg a house move). So any upgrade should really be planned preparation, rather than a sudden rush to change everything.

So basically - there should be no pressure to do something immediately, but to weigh up the situation, depending on the hamster involved and prepare and plan carefully.

If you do plan to upgrade

Another reason not to immediately rush to upgrade is - to research the right cage carefully - if you do want to upgrade. Some cages might be the right size, but height needs looking at, depending on whether it is a dwarf or Syrian hamster. Some of the lower 100cm cages would accommodate deeper bedding at one end but not a Syrian sized wheel as well as 6" of bedding in the rest of the cage. But they might accommodate a 20cm wheel for a dwarf hamster quite easily. Changing from a cage to a tank style when a hamster is used to a cage, could take some adjustment. So it all needs to be considered carefully to avoid stress for the hamster - even though a cage upgrade is for their benefit - there needs to be a balance.

Also you might decide to make a cage, and that can take time to be done properly and safely.

When you do need to upgrade

If the hamster is in a cage smaller than 80cm by 50cm (eg Hamster Heaven size) then the cage does need upgrading, and when doing so, it would be best to meet the guidelines of approximately 100cm by 50cm or bigger.

So basically - nothing has changed in particular. 100cm or larger cages and deeper bedding for hamsters is something that has been widely known for quite a long time and many people are doing this already, and the forum guidelines already recommended these things also.
What a good well written post it proves common sense prevails over rules and regulations. I literally had to give away a piece of furniture to fit Petes HH into our home and I would have loved bigger but impossible to accommodate in our tiny bungalow so Pete also has his playpen and is taken out of his cage at every opportunity obviously the out time is geared to his moods 🙂

Back