Guest viewing is limited

Savic Aura 120 Plexi cage

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
The Savic Aura is now being advertised on Savic's page. It's unknown how soon it'll be available in the Uk - I suspect it will be like the Plaza 120 - start off with one distributor and then become more mainstream.

It's basically the same cage as the Plaza 120 - same dimensions - except it has much narrower 6.5mm bar spacing, and the barred section sits on top of about 10cm of perspex. Making the cage 10cm taller as well. So it's about 60cm tall. Although that sounds a bit tall for the cage, the idea is to fit 25cm of bedding in the cage, which would effectively make it the same height as the Plaza 120 then but with deeper bedding. This would be great for Syrian hamsters, but it would need setting up carefully for dwarf hamsters. It looks like it would be great for mice as well! With mouseproof bar spacing.

It'll be interesting to see if it costs much more with the plexi, but I suspect it'll work out cheaper than a cage plus buying perspex panels.

And actually you could go right to the top of the perspex, or higher, with the bedding as it won't fall out, with 6.5mm bar spacing :) I found that with 7mm bar spacing. Depending on the bedding! Paper bedding would be fine.

Savic Aura 120 Plexi.jpg

Last edited:
There's also a very tall version called the Argus which looks like it's intended for rats. But if someone wanted deep bedding and a full level it could give even more space maybe for a hamster. Although a full level is always tricky to achieve.

I have to say - I want one now! The Aura, not the Argus.

I wonder how strong the plexiglass is as the bars are quite heavy. Scratching might be a problem too as the knock down slips about a bit when taken off the base.

There's also a very tall version called the Argus which looks like it's intended for rats. But if someone wanted deep bedding and a full level it could give even more space maybe for a hamster. Although a full level is always tricky to achieve.

The Argus bars are wider though. It might be for rats and degus. Covered in plexiglass, it would allow for some amazing tunelling!

I forgot to mention that - yes the Argus bar spacing is 9.5mm so standard bar spacing - but fine for Syrians. I also thought that - if plexi was half way up it could be good for very deep bedding :) Although I wonder if the cage would stand the weight of it or start to bow out, with it being a knock down cage.

As for the Aura, I don't think there would be too much weight on the plexi. It's quite strong stuff and I've seen cages like that before (not made any more I think - It was an Imac one). I don't think scratching would be any more of an issue than it is with the bedding panels and bolts etc or other items up against it. I'm sure it's been thoroughly through testing first. Scratching is always a slight issue with plexi but shouldn't be an issue if it's under bedding. I doubt you'd need to take the bars off very often, with the two large doors :)

It does sound tempting! It would be lovely to see the resident hammy snoozing in a dual or multi chamber open sided house!

Actually, I think degu can be so bad for chewing they might need a metal base 🤔

I don't know much about Degus :)

I don't know much about Degus :)
They look like gerbils, but are much bigger, about the size of rats. They have really complex, carefully ordered social structure, working cooperatively to dig huge burrows in the wild. They like to hop up and down different levels. Their ability to chew is in a class of its own and can get through wood with ease. They are prone to diabetes and need a carefully controlled diet.

Attachments

• 1710623217507.png
    1710623217507.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
Thank you :) I have seen photos of them before - I just didn't know much about their behaviour.

I see what you mean now about the bars possibly scratching the plexi - you mean where the bars clip on and off? I'm not sure though that they would need to clip on and off the plexi - maybe the whole top comes off including the plexi? But then how is the plexi fastened on? So if the plexi is a permanent fixture then yes the bars would need to pull off the top of the plexi. But I shouldn't think it would need doing regularly except for a disinfection for some reason. ie having to dismantle it completely. I never dismantle my Plaza 120 I just do everything through the doors. Unless it needs a full disinfection.

I use small wheels to move Sock's 120 as it's quite heavy and large to move unless I take the bars off, and that would mean waking him up and trying to get him into his playpen. I have two sets so use them like a wheelbarrow, but I would like to get more, one for each corner.

That sounds like an idea :) Mine sits on top of a cupboard and never gets moved :) I like it at that height so I can do things through the front door. On the other hand, I cant reach the top door :ROFLMAO:

Back