Saffron

Oh also, is it just because I'm used to slim, elderly hamsters or is she rather round in that video?? I really hope she isn't pregnant..

Oh also, is it just because I'm used to slim, elderly hamsters or is she rather round in that video?? I really hope she isn't pregnant..
Yes, i can see what you mean but dwarfs are round. She was kept with others though so there's the possibility that her previous owner sexed them wrongly. Do you know why they were kept in a group and not separately?

Yes, i can see what you mean but dwarfs are round. She was kept with others though so there's the possibility that her previous owner sexed them wrongly. Do you know why they were kept in a group and not separately?

They were still together due to being so young still, that's about all I know really. Hopefully she has just been enjoying the good food 🤣 she's very keen on standing up at the side of the tank and I haven't seen any obviously enlarged nipples or anything.

I know with guinea pigs they tend to drink a lot more towards the later stages which also made me question, considering she's still taking on a fair bit of water, I'm not sure if it's similar in hamsters. But either way, I'll cross that bridge if it happens, and if not she's just a happy little golf ball enjoying her food 😅

Reactions: Maz
As Beryl said it’s always a possibility, some pet shops have a bit of a reputation for sexing wrongly but she looks fine to me, normal size & shape I would expect for a young Russian.

That's good to hear 😅 I'm such a softy and get attached so fast I'd have to keep all of the babies if she were, there would be cages everywhere 🤦‍♀️ so I panicked a little bit lol

I adopted a dwarf who was pregnant. The first time i knew about it was when a tiny furry face appeared in the substrate.

No good worrying now. Chances are that Saffron is a typical round dwarf and if not, there are worse things in life, lol.

Just look at how round Lilly is.

Yes as long as she's healthy and happy, that's fine by me! 😅 I was looking at the other dwarf threads a while ago and saw how round everyone else's were which was very reassuring!!

Looks like we're on pregnancy watch then :) Just in case. She probably is just a round dwarf but you never know. I think it's 18 to 21 days. So it's working out from when she was separated from the other hamster.

She was separated from them Monday morning, so that would be anytime after the 27th we're in the clear?

But yeah, fingers crossed she's just a little lump. She's certainly eating well and enjoying her little bowls of veggies, she eats the lot every time! She's trying bell pepper for the first time tonight.

That sounds about right - maybe 2 or 3 days longer just in case. And you'll probably see if her behaviour changes around that time.

I have once again successfully traded sunflower seeds for my personal safety 😂 bless her heart she did very well a few days ago letting me lift her up a few cm off the floor and she walked from one hand to the other for a few moments before going back to nipping. This time she voluntarily climbed as far up my arm as she could manage! I didn't get a picture as my other hand was ready to catch her if she fell or jumped. But she's getting there. She seems to be coming to the conclusion I'm at least not dangerous, if a little annoying 😅

20230315_010429.jpg20230315_010415.jpg20230314_021130.jpg20230314_021144.jpg

Aw thankyou! It helps she's so photogenic and nosy 😅

I cant wait to be able to handle her properly, outside of the cage but I've a feeling that would make her panic still! But she's already improved so quickly, brave little lady. She definitely wants to be friends..I'll win her over eventually 😅

It is still early days so do not worry. I think it is amazing progress already.

Maybe the nipping will stop after the 27th! Hopefully she isn't pregnant, but if she is, it might be another reason for the behaviour.

Back