Guest viewing is limited

Safety in Hamster cages

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
When setting up a hamster's cage, there are a number of things to look out for as regards safety. There is also a post on unsafe toys and items but general set up needs to be considered for safety too.

Hamsters can be very active in their cages - especially at night (when they might monkey bar across the roof of a barred cage and you don't see it!)

So a few things to check, avoid and look out for

1) Fall risks
If they happened to drop from the roof, how far could they fall and could they land on anything hard or sharp (which may cause injury)? The key there is to make sure there is enough substrate to cushion any falls, and have any hard or sharp items under something (eg on or under a shelf or under a hanging item).

2) Splinters and other sharp hazards
Check wood items for the cage for splinters, protruding nails or visible glue. When you have a hamster, keeping a piece of sandpaper in the house helps! Or an emery board if you don't have diy items. Sandpaper is much easier and quicker to use though.

3) Chains
It is best not to use chains. Some hanging toys come with chains. A hamster jumping from a hanging item could get a foot or toenail caught in the chain rings as they jump off, and end up hanging from it by a leg. This has been known to lead to a hamster with a broken leg or other injury. You can replace the chains with something else quite easily usually. Sisal string or rope can be used for hanging things or tying tubes to the bars (not cotton string). Or plastic cable ties could be used to attach internal tubes to bars. Check things are attached securely though, so no gaps a foot or toe could get caught in.

4) Gaps
Gaps in bendy stick bridges or where ladders attach to shelves can also be a place where a foot or toe can get caught.

5) Secure fixing
Ladders or ramps, if not secured or intended for a particular shelf, can fall down when the hamster is using them. So having them fixed securely is important for safety. If a ladder won't fit securely, it's better to use some other kind of shelf access that's stable. Eg a tube attached to the bars leading up to the shelf, or a large cork log next to or partly under a shelf, can make a route up to the shelf.

6) Ladders with rungs and gaps
Ladders with rungs and gaps can cause accidents too. Hamsters can fall partly between the rungs or gaps and get injured or just get stressed trying to get up the ladder. If you have a ladder with rungs or gaps it's easy enough to adapt it by glueing a piece of wood (or even cardboard) to the back of it - so there are no gaps. Basically, solid surfaces are best for hamsters feet - for ladders and wheel surfaces.

7) Access to water and water risks
Water bottles need to be checked daily to ensure they are actually letting water out. Tapping a finger under the spout is all that's needed. Water bottles need to be secured at the right height for the hamster. If it's too low they have to contort themselves to drink. If it's too high, they can't reach it. If using a water bowl it should be small and shallow and placed in an area where it can't get contamined with bedding etc (eg on a shelf). The water should be changed daily and the bowl checked regularly to ensure there is water in it. A bowl shouldn't be too big or deep to avoid a wet hamster - hamsters can get chilled if they get too wet.

8) Mesh surfaces
Mesh or grid shelves are not safe to use as they can cause a condition called bumblefoot in hamsters. If you do have a mesh or grid shelf and can't replace it for some reason, then covering it with either a piece of wood or cardboard, or possibly hemp mat or grass/chew mats will give a suitable surface to walk on but it needs to be something firm. Likewise wheels with mesh or grid surfaces are bad for hamsters.

9) Issues with fabric items
Fabric material in cages is a hazard. If a hamster chews fabric it can get loose threads wrapped around a leg - cutting off the circulation - hamsters have been known to amputate their own foot or leg if trapped by tight threads around the foot. Threads can also get wrapped round teeth. They could also pouch or swallow the material and get a digestive blockage. This includes fabric nests or beds which can have polyester filling inside which is harmful if swallowed. A hamster's instinct is to try and forage for and pouch anything nice and soft - to take to their nest, hence there's a danger it could get in the digestive system. Fleece is not as bad as standard fabric as it's not made up of threads. But generally it's advisable not to use fleece hammocks unless you are sure your hamster isn't going to attempt to chew it. Even then there is usually some stitching on fleece hammocks which could have loose threads and some have polyester wadding inside. Better not to use them or use them rarely or cautiously (eg with an older hamster who you know won't chew it). Cosy fleece hides can be used for out of cage time instead, with observation.

10) Supporting heavy items
Heavy items on top of the substrate can sink if a hamster digs or tunnels under them and could injure the hamster if the weight comes down on them. eg heavier larger ceramic items or larger wood houses. So these need supporting underneath. They can either be on a shelf or platform, or, in the case of a large house, you can glue legs/stilts onto the house using wood dowels. Some houses come with attachable legs.

11) No Fluffy bedding
There is a separate thread on the topic of fluffy bedding which is sold as soft nesting material and isn't safe. This is known to get pouched and swallowed and cause digestive blockages - often needing surgery or leading to death.

12) Only use pet safe glues
If you make any items for the cage then safe glue is needed. Elmer's school glue is safe for general use. Ponal is a safe wood glue (and virtually odourless). Some members have made their own natural flour and water type glues for lighter use. Even though these glues are safe once dry, it's still important not to have any visible glue that could be chewed or eaten.

13) No scented items
Hamsters have very sensitive respiratory tracts and a much stronger sense of smell than we do. Scented bedding or granules or cage cleaning materials can affect their breathing or general wellbeing and also cause them stress (what might smell nice to us can be overpowering for them). So scented substrate shouldn't be used. For cage cleaning, soapy water is fine (eg dishwashing liquid in water) and even then it needs rinsing off well. If a cage needs to disinfected, usually only necessary if there is illness or disease or using a cage for a different hamster, use a suitable disinfectant like Johnsons or Beaphar for small animals, which don't have a strong scent, and again rinse it off well to remove any residue and lessen the scent.

14) Only use pet safe waterproofing paints
If painting wood cages to seal or waterproof them or any other wood items, there are limited products which are petsafe. Standard varnish shouldn't be used. It needs to be water based and non toxic. The most commonly used one, which is tried and tested is Plastikote enamel water based waterproofing paint, which comes in small pots. This is ok for smaller items but it can take a few pots for larger items. There is also an Auro one sold by Rodipet. Not all paints that say they are non toxic are safe for hamsters.

15) Safe substrates
Ensure any substrate (aka litter/bedding) is a suitable material. Pine and softwood shavings are not safe in many countries due to the high levels of phenols which are harmful to hamsters in a number of ways. In the Uk, all softwood shavings have to be kiln dried and dust extracted by law - however this does not remove all the phenols and there is no clear guide or legislation as to what degree of kiln drying has been done. There are many other safe and alternative substrates to use, some of which can be bought in bulk and work out just as economical. Such as recycled paper bedding (Fitch), Hemp bedding (Aubiose, Hugro Hemp), Kaytee Clean n Cozy, Megazorb. Some people feel concerned about a bedding being able to reduce odours - but if a litter tray and sand bath are used this isn't an issue - the litter tray can soak up the pee and be emptied regularly. Only unscented substrates should be used.

If anyone can think of anything else, please add!

Last edited:
What size entrance holes on a house, tubes, etc? I know it's on the forum somewhere but I can't find it. It might be worth adding to the list above. We don't want any hamsters getting stuck.

I go by 5.5cm for dwarfs and 7cm for Syrians. I use this as this is what I read on Rodipet's website.

Yes a safe ballpark is 5cm for dwarf hamsters and robos and 7cm for Syrian hamsters. As an example, most commercial tubes on hamster cages are 6cm and some Syrians can get stuck in those. Hamsters do vary in size and there are some people with a small syrian who have found 5 or 6cm house entrances are fine - but it could be risky as they can be up to 7cm wide with full pouches! If a house door is open at the bottom of the house to substrate (eg an arched door) it is less crucial because they can dig down to get through but it still needs to be wide enough they don't get stuck.

It's particularly important for ceramic enclosures though. At least with wood you can break them free or saw it if they get stuck but a hard ceramic enclosure is a serious issue if a hamster gets stuck. You can go bigger of course!

It is actually mentioned in the houses article on the home page but yes it could be more prominent.

Hi, im back with wood information in tropical climate. Include with Gmelina, i found someone use Calliandra woods as their basic Hamster product. I want to buy their fences / bridge make out from Calliandra, is that safe enough? I search on all website the leaves are good proteins however its does have high tannins, however the wood itself is a good wood for firewoods.

And the last question, is Aquascape logs or roots (Santigi) actually good for decoration in the cage?

Excellent thread, thank you 🙏

Reactions: Maz
I'm afraid I don't know anything about those. A search tells me Calliandra is a hardwood and that's about all. And Santigi (Pemphis Acidula) is probably a hardwood. Whether or not they are safe to chew, I don't know.

In terms of bedding. More than 6" is better (and in fact the more you have, the less often you need to do a clean out - most of the bedding can stay clean and dry for a few months and you just "spot clean" the pee area. If poops build up in one area, you can just spot clean those out as well. Hamster poops are not really dirty or unhygienic and they sometimes eat them or hoard some as they have two stomachs and can redigest nutrients from their poops.

If it would be difficult to achieve more than 6" of bedding, then having a deeper area in part of the enclosure would help.

In terms of enclosure contents, you don't necessarily need a lot of wood things and cardboard can be made into all sorts! And ceramic is safe too. But a platform is usually needed to put the heavier items on like ceramic.

Can you get cork bark or cork branches ponyo? They are safe and can work instead of wood and they have the advantage of being light so they are safe to just sit on top of the substrate without needing to be supported underneath.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't know anything about those. A search tells me Calliandra is a hardwood and that's about all. And Santigi (Pemphis Acidula) is probably a hardwood. Whether or not they are safe to chew, I don't know.

In terms of bedding. More than 6" is better (and in fact the more you have, the less often you need to do a clean out - most of the bedding can stay clean and dry for a few months and you just "spot clean" the pee area. If poops build up in one area, you can just spot clean those out as well. Hamster poops are not really dirty or unhygienic and they sometimes eat them or hoard some as they have two stomachs and can redigest nutrients from their poops.

If it would be difficult to achieve more than 6" of bedding, then having a deeper area in part of the enclosure would help.

In terms of enclosure contents, you don't necessarily need a lot of wood things and cardboard can be made into all sorts! And ceramic is safe too. But a platform is usually needed to put the heavier items on like ceramic.

Can you get cork bark or cork branches ponyo? They are safe and can work instead of wood and they have the advantage of being light so they are safe to just sit on top of the substrate without needing to be supported underneath.
Zoomed is available in here, i will get cork bark and also branches. In my mind, because he is still a baby (his height alone maybe around 2") so i make the bedding deepth 6" instead of 8" and will increase the deepth into 8" later if he reach age 4 - 6 months.
I wonder how long should i wait to do deep clean if i have 6"? Any suggestion about the bedding deepth for baby hams (2months) would be good for me.

Last edited:
We also have Coffewood products such as bark or branches. I insert the photos in here, maybe this can became an substitute for Cork Bark. This is local and for Cork Bark is imported one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_194641.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_194641.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240504_194647.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_194647.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I don’t know about coffewood either :). It seems to be safe for dogs as dog chews can be made of it so I would think that is ok. @Daisy might know.

Yes that is an option to start with 6” of bedding but it could be good to have a deeper area in a corner or at one end in case he wants to dig tunnels.

There’s an article in the home page about cafe cleaning - I’ll link it. I realise you live in a hot country but I don’t think that would change cleaning guidance really - the only smelly or unhygienic thing is the pee and that can be spot cleaned out. The article explains about spot cleaning. You should never need to do a deep clean unless there is illness or disease or to use the enclosure for another hamster.

Too much cleaning out is very stressful for hamsters and it’s important some of their bedding and cage items always smell familiar as they scent mark everything.

I tend to do a “third” clean every 4 to 6 months. Ie change the substrate in a third of the cage (the house end where they nest hoard and pee). And even then I replace at least half of the substrate I remove if it’s clean. The rest of the cage should stay clean and dry and you’d rarely need to do another third of it and could spot clean mostly.

The article goes into a lot more detail - about nesting areas and hoards as well.

The one thing that is important - especially with a hot climate - is to freeze hamster food, sprays etc before using them, to avoid outbreaks of bugs or moths that can hatch out in heat. Been there, got the t shirt! Virtually all pet food contains moth eggs which are not visible to the human eye and if it gets warm enough they can hatch out and they can lay 200 eggs a day and it become an infestation in the home.

Freezing the food for a week kills moth eggs and other bugs or mites that might be in the food. The same with hay - freeze for a week.

For wood items you can bake them to kill any eggs or mites that might be inside. 100 degrees centigrade for about 30 to 40 minutes.

It’s still important to try and leave the hamster’s hoard in tact but you don’t want to be leaving a huge hoard in there indefinitely as the older food could go a bit musty. So I tend to remove the bottom half of the hoard, from underneath, when doing the “third” end of the cage clean- the area where they nest and hoard. Kind of prune the hoard.

If the hoard gets pee’d on it does need removing and then you need to put a handful of new food back to replace it, in the same place - otherwise the hamster can get into a cycle of peeing in their food to deter people from stealing it! They get very anxious if they have no hoard at all as they’re hard wired to have food stores.

I have never had to remove a hamster’s nest - unless it’s pee’d in. They tend to keep that very clean and dry. Younger hansters might pee in the best for a while until they get into good habits!

If you put a corner litter tray in the enclosure with sand in it (or inside the house if it’s big enough) the hamster will almost always use it and then it’s very easy - you just empty the litter tray every few days and the cage stays clean and dry. Syrians almost always use a litter tray - if you put it in the right place! Ie the place they have decided to use as a toilet. Sometimes this is a corner of the enclosure. So when you find out where his toilet is you could put a litter tray there.

One good option is to make a large cardboard shoe box house and put the litter tray instead it - they always seem to use it if it’s inside a house - like an en-suite bathroom!

Back