Guest viewing is limited

Playpens and Playareas

I've never tried one of those. Some people used to say they were ok but I am sure a Syrian would just climb over! Can a dwarf get through the bars?

No, a dwarf couldn't get through the bars and yes, a Syrian can climb over it. I have watched one doing that quite effortlessly.

I think it must have been dwarf hamster owners that liked it then.

I used underbed storage boxes. Easy to wipe clean and I could put them up on a table out of the reach of my dogs.

I don't think there are any gaps. It's a transparent connector holding the panels together.
Sorry to jump onto an older post!
I think these would make good play pens but definitely supervised as the panels are plastic and there are little gaps where the connectors attach to the wire frame. So there are sections at the bottom/top they can get their teeth into! I think if this was going to be made into a permanent cage, making it like a c&c guinea pig cage with some correx in the bottom may work well.

Good to hear from someone who has seen one! So they can be chewed in certain areas. Putting a base down sounds like a good idea.

We use the pop up one from Amazon, it’s colourful polka dots and is £12 if you shop around on there, ours is the medium in size. It folds up flat after use. The sides are pretty high. We have a Syrian, who has attempted to jump out but never made it from floor level, however, one night he did get on top of the shoe box hide that I use in there and made a jump for it and he did reach the top, looked over but didn’t make a proper escape, he just decided to let go and dropped back down. I wouldn’t leave a hamster unsupervised in a playpen as they can be very mischievous. Our hamster has also chewed / scratched the corners now, so I’ve just ordered a replacement.

View attachment 108
I have one similar for sweetie, actually it arrived today and when she was awake for a break from her sleep I placed her there.
She was running up and down and trying to climb. Don’t know if is a good sign… what do you thinking? 🤔

I have one similar for sweetie, actually it arrived today and when she was awake for a break from her sleep I placed her there.
She was running up and down and trying to climb. Don’t know if is a good sign… what do you thinking? 🤔
She sounds like she was exploring to me. Did you put lots of hides in there and a wheel so she feels safe?

She sounds like she was exploring to me. Did you put lots of hides in there and a wheel so she feels safe?
Couple of tubes but I don’t have another wheel to placed there…I should buy another one. Thank you for the tip, sometimes I am too apprehensive 😬

You can always use the same wheel while you wait for the new one to arrive. :)

If you do get another wheel for the playpen, maybe get a flying saucer - they usually love those and it's variety from the usual wheel. They don't necessarily need a wheel in a playpen - she can just explore a bit. They often just sit in a corner and try and dig their way out if they're not used to it! It's early days - and it sounds normal trying to climb out ha ha.

I sometimes used to hide little treats in various places in the playpen with a little trail of sunflower seeds to one of them. to tempt them to use an item in the playpen. Once they get distracted from the idea of trying to escape they tend to get used to it.

At least she is not sitting in a tube hiding!

Maybe she wants to go on the bed again! It was you who has her on your bed isn't it? So this is a change for her.

If you do get another wheel for the playpen, maybe get a flying saucer - they usually love those and it's variety from the usual wheel. They don't necessarily need a wheel in a playpen - she can just explore a bit. They often just sit in a corner and try and dig their way out if they're not used to it! It's early days - and it sounds normal trying to climb out ha ha.

I sometimes used to hide little treats in various places in the playpen with a little trail of sunflower seeds to one of them. to tempt them to use an item in the playpen. Once they get distracted from the idea of trying to escape they tend to get used to it.

At least she is not sitting in a tube hiding!

Maybe she wants to go on the bed again! It was you who has her on your bed isn't it? So this is a change for her.
Yes she use to be in my bed and explore it but I bought a playpen to let her be safe without the risk to fell on the floor. I’ll try later tonight when she will wake up again 🤗

If she wants to come out then it's good for her to try it :). If she's not showing signs of wanting to come out then try the next night maybe.

Hi there, Sweetie sounds lovely, she is most likely exploring. I remember when we first used it Hams would go to the corner seams and keep jumping but now he just enjoys running about through the various tubes / cereal boxes / tissue boxes that I fill it with. I also hide a couple of sunflower seeds and a couple of tiny fresh bits of food. He’ll keep amused for around 15-20mins and then he keeps coming over to where I sit chatting to him, but he just keeps looking up and that’s when I know he’s had enough. Hope Sweetie enjoys hers in time, a flying saucer wheel sounds a fab idea.

Hi there, Sweetie sounds lovely, she is most likely exploring. I remember when we first used it Hams would go to the corner seams and keep jumping but now he just enjoys running about through the various tubes / cereal boxes / tissue boxes that I fill it with. I also hide a couple of sunflower seeds and a couple of tiny fresh bits of food. He’ll keep amused for around 15-20mins and then he keeps coming over to where I sit chatting to him, but he just keeps looking up and that’s when I know he’s had enough. Hope Sweetie enjoys hers in time, a flying saucer wheel sounds a fab idea.
I’ll keep you posted 🤗 thank you 🙏🏻

If she wants to come out then it's good for her to try it :). If she's not showing signs of wanting to come out then try the next night maybe.
You are perfectly right!
I noticed that on night she want to be in her cage not coming near by me, but in the morning when she smells me near her she run towards the bars and when I open the gate she started to climb on it for me to scoop her up lol

That is really lovely that she comes to you in the mornings! Some hamsters are morning hamsters. Maybe she'd like a bit of breakfast :). Most of ours were asleep by 6am but Raffy (Syrian) is a morning hamster too and wants to come out - if I'm awake early enough!

You are perfectly right!
I noticed that on night she want to be in her cage not coming near by me, but in the morning when she smells me near her she run towards the bars and when I open the gate she started to climb on it for me to scoop her up lol
All my dwarfs were morning and daytime hamsters. They don't seem to establish routines like Syrians do.
Morning may be a good time to interact with Sweetie.

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Back