Cardboard creations

I like the egg box idea Maz. I think my Ares might like that.

My rats loved the Christmas crackers, I don't know why I never tried it with the hamsters.

I can imagine Rats having great fun with those :) Don't suppose you have a photo or a video of that?! Do you still have rats? Maybe you could start a thread in the other pets section about the rats as well. The Egg box idea - I don't think I got it quite right the first time - I used the bottom half with the pointy sticky up bits instead of the top half - but then the bottom half was deeper and more stable. Our robo didn't know quite what to make of it - he'd climb in it but could only sit in one little egg hole (which he fitted in nicely) without having to climb over the pointy bits in the middle to another egg hole. He did go in it though. It was mainly there so he couldn't land on the hard yellow wood cheese thing (it was hanging over it).

I think people make all sorts out of egg box carton packing material.

I can imagine Rats having great fun with those :) Don't suppose you have a photo or a video of that?! Do you still have rats? Maybe you could start a thread in the other pets section about the rats as well.
The rats loved them. No I don't have any photos of them playing with them. Unfortunately they scurried over the rainbow bridge in August at almost 2 ½ years of age.

Reactions: Maz
Quite a simple one but we often use spare toilet rolls like little feeders (picture attached). I normally tie them wt safe jute string to the side or top of our barred cage and just pop his veg into them or some seeds. Sometimes they last a while, other nights he shreds them up 😃

7DF11C56-BE38-4930-8A70-88A294BD33CA.jpeg 4CB95FFB-8664-40F3-8FA4-503548543FDB.jpeg

The one below has been munched

788F54C9-F1F3-476F-AA5F-F73D1B5D7045.jpeg

Last edited:
This is an after photo of one of our treat puzzles, showing it chewed. Cut a toilet roll into strips and wrap it all together like a ball. Hide some seeds or a piece of veg within the layers and it’s a good boredom breaker.

DDB1A466-9372-47CE-BCEC-2C8201F24C44.jpeg

This is a boredom breaker I made.
20230226-142308.jpg

It is a cardboard roll I cut down to size. I used a wide cardboard roll to ensure Orko would not get stuck inside it. I made some glue using buckwheat flour and water. Once that was mixed I applied it to the cardboard roll using the back of the spoon. I then sprinkled seeds on to it. Once it dried, I popped it in Orko's cage. A bonus to this was he enjoyed climbing in and out of it as well as eating the seeds. I put some bedding inside to make it easier for him to climb in and out as he is small.

I really really love this cardboard treat Rainbow! So clever, but also simple and very hamster friendly.

This is a boredom breaker I made.
20230226-142308.jpg

It is a cardboard roll I cut down to size. I used a wide cardboard roll to ensure Orko would not get stuck inside it. I made some glue using buckwheat flour and water. Once that was mixed I applied it to the cardboard roll using the back of the spoon. I then sprinkled seeds on to it. Once it dried, I popped it in Orko's cage. A bonus to this was he enjoyed climbing in and out of it as well as eating the seeds. I put some bedding inside to make it easier for him to climb in and out as he is small.
Thank you for sharing. I'm going to give this ago. Just need to get flour. Hopefully Albert will be impressed.

You could always poke some holes in it and have the mealworms sticking out through the holes! As well as the seeds on the outside.

Back