Best value multichamber hideout?

Is this for in the Uk or elsewhere? And is it for a Syrian or dwarf hamster?

Getzoo do some really good ones for dwarf hamsters, as do Rodipet. It gets slightly trickier with Syrians as, in my experience, the room layout needs to work and any top entrance hole needs to be in the right place.

I was thinking one on legs. I have a 3 chamber Hopes healthy hamsters one on legs for my dwarf, but wondered what else suitable is out there

Ok. I used to like the Rodipet one for Syrians but they changed the design and I don't think the layout is right in the new design. Plus they are very expensive. I bought a Happy Henry Homes one - which has the same layout as the old rodipet one, which I think works. The only issue with that is, a litter tray doesn't fit in the middle back compartment! What I found in the end was, if I got the plastic trixie litter tray and pushed it down in the substrate, it did fit.

They fit together like a jigsaw. And you can buy whatever length legs you want for it. So if you have 20cm substrate then 20cm legs. You could still use 20cm legs with 25cm substrate and have the house partly submerged in substrate, but most of it protruding.

This is the Rodipet one. But they only sell 15cm legs for it so if you want longer, you'd need to glue dowels to it. Although I believe someone said the Happy Henry Homes stilts fit the rodipet houses :)

The main thing to be aware of with the Happy Henry Homes ones - is slow delivery. Could be 3 weeks or even a bit longer, from the time of ordering. It's a small family business. Also ideally you'd want to plastikote inside so it's wipe clean and that can permanently fix all the pieces together so then it can't come apart again. I don't find that an issue and actually find it better as it keeps the pieces in place so they don't slide out of place. But you do need to make sure you've got the layout how you want before plastikoting. Some of the pieces are interchangeable inside.

I have the top hole back left, a big compartment at the front left and right and a big compartment centre back. So that means most of it is dark inside, the toilet fits in and the large front rooms are a good place for nesting. Plus there's a little sloping ladder going up to the top hole which seems to work well.

Hi Maz. I decided on the Henry's corner on with legs. Didn't realise about long delivery so I have emailed them as they suggest, to see if it can be sent sooner
Many thanks.

Reactions: Maz
Yes, my playpen arrived two days ago. It was ordered on 31 March so it's taken over three weeks. I wasn't in a rush for it so just waited. But you can expect about 3 weeks normally.

Ooh that's good. Can you show us a photo when it's all set up and in place? It's usually best not to take the roof off and peek - at least for the first couple of weeks, or it can freak them and then they can abandon the house. After that they get used to it (and it's necessary sometimes to remove/empty the toilet) :) And work out where he's nesting and peeing to put a toilet in!

Are you going to plastikote it?

Back