Worried about my hamster

Ruby

New member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Hi my hamster has a swollen cheek I have never seen him like this before what can I do please I can’t get to a vet today because I don’t have enough money in my bank for out of hours

IMG_5789.webp
 
Hello. I’m so sorry he has this lump. It could be a cheek pouch abscess so he will need to see a vet but maybe you can get him into a vet tomorrow when it’s not out of hours? Also some vets will let you pay by instalments if they need any treatment. It’s likely they will give him antibiotics or possibly even want to lance it - but that depends on an examination and diagnosis as to whether they think it’s infection or not.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
 
Hello. I’m so sorry he has this lump. It could be a cheek pouch abscess so he will need to see a vet but maybe you can get him into a vet tomorrow when it’s not out of hours? Also some vets will let you pay by instalments if they need any treatment. It’s likely they will give him antibiotics or possibly even want to lance it - but that depends on an examination and diagnosis as to whether they think it’s infection or not.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Thank you so much I will have to try and find some money somehow I’m really worried about him it just appeared out of no where 🥺
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maz
How old is he? :-) Also which country/area are you in? We might be able to recommend somewhere that someone has used. Also in the Uk the PDSA animal hospital can treat without charge I think.
 
How old is he? :-) Also which country/area are you in? We might be able to recommend somewhere that someone has used. Also in the Uk the PDSA animal hospital can treat without charge I think.
We have only had him around three months followed all correct advice with his food and cage we adopted him from pets at home he was up for adoption because he only had one ear we fell in love with him straight away we live in the U.K. in wales we have cried a lot today because we have been worried about him 😭
 
Oh I'm so sorry. He won't be very old then. You could try asking the Pets at Home vets to see him for free, as you got him there. Although if it was three months ago they might not accept treating him.

Poor little thing only having one ear - it sounds like he may have been caught in a fight at some point with other hamsters in the same tank. As he's so young it could be a pouch abscess or impacted pouch, but it does need looking at as soon as possible.

There's a PDSA hospital in Cardiff or Swansea if that's anywhere near you?
 
I am sorry your little hammy is unwell. Do you know if he is eating? You could try offering him some cucumber or lettuce, or hamster pellets soaked in warm water to try to increase his fluid intake. I am not sure if dwarf hamsters can eat much porridge as they are prone to diabetes but a tiny bit might be OK. Poor fellow. Yes, if you can see the vet tomorrow he could get some antibiotics and this may save him. They heal quickly if the infection can be controlled. It depends on where the problem is. I hope he will be OK 🙏♥️🐾
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maz
I was forgetting it’s Sunday today. Did it come up very suddenly? Monday tomorrow and you can get him to a vet’s. Unless the PDSA hospital is open Sundays maybe.

It could be an impacted pouch, abscess or something else.
 
Back
Top