Guest viewing is limited

Safe moss

Zelda

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to use moss for Zelda, and have seen several references to "safe moss" on some blogs and posts elsewhere on the internet. Is the bagged moss available for reptiles OK for hamster use?

Thanks for any info!

To be honest I don't know which ones are safe as I don't use it. Someone else might have some recommendations. I think it needs to be quite dry so it doesn't cause humidity.

I think the moss you sometimes see used for hamsters is carpet moss which is a type of moss including several species but all should be safe.
I wouldn’t use it in the cage though, moss needs humidity to survive & so needs to be wet & you don’t want a damp or wet area in the cage as it will spread & could encourage mould growth.
I doubt very much there is much in the way of moss or similar plants growing in most of the areas where hamsters originate so it isn’t a natural plant for them.
If you just want it as a new texture to explore I think a little in the out of cage area would be ok.
Live moss needs to be soaked & rinsed well to avoid any possible hitch hikers, it often contains tiny snails, woodlice, gnats & other little bugs!

Rodipet sell this dried moss which could be ok for inside a cage maybe? That's in Germany but I'm guessing there is something similar available. Live moss does sound a bit like it could have issues.

Thanks all, I was referring to dry moss and wondering about the moss they have packed for use in reptile enclosures. I agree that live plants would be too difficult in a hammie enclosure.

Sorry, shouldn’t have assumed!
I’m a bit undecided about dry moss too, I might be over thinking it but I worry a bit they might eat it & dry moss really swells up when it gets moistened which it would if they ate it.
I’m pretty sure I have seen other people use it though so maybe ok.
I would just check reviews for reptile moss, that kind of moss should be ok but I know it varies a lot in quality & may have other bits & pieces in it.

Reactions: Maz
I think it’s a personal thing maybe as well. Quite a few people do seem to use it these days - others are more cautious about things like moss and soil in hamster cages.

Back