Over 30 years since having a hamster!

Violette Elf

New member
Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
7
Points
3
Hello, everyone!
Thanks for creating and maintaning an online community for hamster guardians. Over 30 years ago a neighbor released a family of hamsters. My mother managed to lure one into a coffee cup and that was my first and only hamster. His name was Buttons. He was a great pet. He had an ideal temperament and lived to an old age until tumors appeared and he died in his sleep.
Over the years I've had several different pets, each loved and special in their own way. As pets do, my last became old, their bodies weakened and they shed their mortal shells. I've been traveling for work the past few years, so having pets has not been practical. I'm planning to settle down for a permanent position in a very rural area of Wyoming next year. I want to 'start over' again being a pet guardian and have a hamster-shaped hole in my heart. I'm planning for a Syrian hamster as that species is familiar to me. I hope to name my next hamster Button II, to continue the dynasty. In the meantime, I look forward to participating in the community until I can share the life of Buttons II with everyone.

I wish I could share a photo of Buttons, but in those days, we didn't have digital photography. If I ever locate one, I will scan it to share here.

Thanks for having me!
- Violette Elf
 
Hello Violette, welcome to the forum it's such a friendly group of people who are always interested in what you have to say 🥰 I'm already looking forward to you getting Button ll and hearing about all your adventures. It would be lovely if you do manage to get a photo of Button ..I wait in anticipation 🥰 I have a male Syrian he is 9 months old now and his name is Teddy. He's great fun 🥰 l hope you have your little friend soon 💞💕💖 Ness
 
Hello and welcome. I look forward to meeting Button II :-) All hamster species are lovely but I too have a soft spot for Syrians. So many things have changed in the world of hamster care in the past few years - so if you need any tips, just ask. Do you have a cage or enclosure sorted?
 
Thank you, Maz and Vanessa1!
I've been plotting and planning. My first choice for an enclosure is the Vevor enclosure because it has a nice top that allows plenty of ventilation. If it arrives and I don't like it, I'm considering a Bucatstate 3.0. Those two seem to be the largest enclosures I can find that will accommodate deep bedding for burrows with side doors. My goal is for deep bedding across the entire floor space and all furniture items on custom-made poplar/birch platforms. I've gotten so far with a detailed setup plan, but I'm ultimately waiting to move myself and my husband into a new-to-us home for ourselves before making the commitment for a new pet. When we get closer to creating the setup and purchasing from my shopping wish list, I'd love to make a detailed post of my planned setup.
 
That sounds great :-) I think the Vevor cage is a good option and I agree it has good ventilation on top. It's only fractionally smaller than the Bucatstate.
 
Back
Top