Guest viewing is limited

Living world eco - specifically the medium size

Georgiacait

Reaction score
Although this cage has been discontinued, I think it is still a great cage and can sometimes be found second hand!

The cage measures 98.5x58.5x61cm

Pros about the cage:
1) As the cage is perspex there are no bars that little robos could escape from, there is lots of room for bedding!

2) I found it fairly easy to assemble. I just used the allen key that it came with to attach all the pieces together.
This also means it was easy to take apart to store for a while when I didn't have a use for it. It pretty much goes flat as all the pieces are just wood and perspex. The only bits that stick out are the wheels attached to the base.

3) Easy to interact and clean (mostly)
Due to the large top opening I find it is a lot easier to tame and handle my hamsters over the smaller side doors (when comparing to the Alexander cage that I also have)
Furthermore, when cleaning you are able to get into the cage easily to reach all areas. Bear in mind the wooden base but other than that the sides are easy to wipe down.

4) It looks nice!
Especially when nice and clean!
It fits into your home quite well, it looks like something that is somewhat homemade. You are able to see your hamster running around or if they are digging around the edges of the cage.

5) It holds up quite well!
I have had mine for 5 years ish. And there is very little wear and tear, especially since there has been 3 hamsters living in it!

6) Can be moved easily
If you have the wheels on the base you can move this cage around to switch rooms or just to make different areas more available for easy cleaning.
This was specifically useful for me as I keep the cage under a table (used to have another cage on top of the table) meaning I can pull the cage out from under the table easily.

Cons about the cage:
1) It can be quite expensive, especially now it isn't made anymore.
I think if you can do a little bit of DIY, you could make a cage the same size or bigger for the same or less. We just made a guinea pig cage that was 175x70cm which cost about £80-100 for all the materials.

2) It is wooden
As it has a wood base, it can get damaged from urine if not protected. I would recommend plastikote, I didn't use this (wish I did) I ended up covering the base with sticky back plastic. However, if this lifts slightly or gets sand underneath it can lift which means it can be chewed.
And if you don't modify the bottom with something a little waterproof, it can make it a little hard to clean as you can't sanitise.

3) The lid
Due to the large opening, it needs a large lid. This is just one solid piece of some sort of MDF board with holes along for ventilation.
We did a little bit of DIY to make it a little easier, we cut the lid in half, lengthways and added hinges so I can fold it back for daily spot cleans.
It also means that if the hamster can reach the lid with high bedding and platforms, it can be chewed which is a risk for chewers. (To be honest, the whole cage could be a risk for chewers as I have heard reports of hamsters chewing the perspex holes, I guess you just need to know your hamster and what they need in their cage)

4) Water bottle attachments
I, unfortunately, have gone through so many water bottles. At first I used the ferplast sippy water bottle which worked really well with the suction cups. Towards the end it was chewed a little bit and after a few years of use the actual bottle did start to leak. So I switched to a plastic classic water bottle with my newest two hamsters cable tied to the sides of the cage. This worked really well until Boo figured out she could chew the cable ties and make it fall down (to be fair, this is the hamster who had to have two attachments on her Alexander cage as she would knock her water bottle off on there too!). I am now on a water bowl. So this may just be a Boo issue!

I will add some photos of previous set ups, I do need to get an up to date photo of her set up at the minute.
Please take into consideration that some of the set ups are 5 years old and there isn't as much bedding that I would use now.

If I can think of any other elements of the cage I will edit or add them as comments!
Hope this was somewhat useful!

Great review! I think the cage is still being sold on Amazon actually! It disappeared for a while but is now back on there for sale. Not available from Zooplus any more unfortunately. Some very useful tips there and I'm impressed with the diy lid. Another option for a water bottle is extra strong velcro maybe. It shouldn't be chewable if it's behind the bottle.

Believe it or not they are all different cage cleans! I had a very particular hamster at the time called princess (very fitting name), who had to have her house and sand bath in the same place or she would make her bed and toilet in that same place. Even if something was in her way!

Attachments

• 5397D3FD-421F-43D0-9AE5-377331625F85.jpeg
    5397D3FD-421F-43D0-9AE5-377331625F85.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2DE8F537-130E-4673-92C0-275E1A4E9264.jpeg
    2DE8F537-130E-4673-92C0-275E1A4E9264.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2C39BD1C-A4F9-4A1D-8AE1-4D15CD93C639.jpeg
    2C39BD1C-A4F9-4A1D-8AE1-4D15CD93C639.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ECA647AB-76F4-4ACB-BD60-8C031263D8C8.jpeg
    ECA647AB-76F4-4ACB-BD60-8C031263D8C8.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 138B16AD-8AA6-4BD8-B6F5-8ED0D8259AA4.jpeg
    138B16AD-8AA6-4BD8-B6F5-8ED0D8259AA4.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Maz
Believe it or not they are all different cage cleans! I had a very particular hamster at the time called princess (very fitting name), who had to have her house and sand bath in the same place or she would make her bed and toilet in that same place. Even if something was in her way!
Another caveat is that I wouldn’t use that bridge or log anymore. I wasn’t aware of what they were, thankfully she wasn’t a chewer.

So here is the cage stacked with the Alexander cage.

Attachments

• BC680368-6C58-47EC-AAC2-931CA2BA2659.jpeg
    BC680368-6C58-47EC-AAC2-931CA2BA2659.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 11
Great photos. Lucky hamster had both a wheel and a flying saucer! I think a lot of people have used those bridges and they haven't been chewed. I have cage envy now. I am wondering if the Zooplus cages like the Alexander and Barney will become collectible second hand - and go up in price too! I am regretting selling my Barney cage (didn't know they would stop being available!).

Goodness that makes the Alexander look a lot less big and it's a big cage!

Again, she was very particular and really enjoyed the flying saucer, I think because when we rescued her it's all she ever used, but the smaller version. So getting the larger 12" version was so shocking for the size difference. I have a picture somewhere that I will find which demonstrates it.

I still can't believe they don't sell them anymore! My Alexander is probably 7 years old and is certainly showing its age unfortunately. I think another cage would have to be handmade!

Well Boo was originally in the Alexander, like you can see in the picture, but she has really benefitted from the extra space of the living world.

The picture is worse than I remember but it definitely illustrates the difference!

Attachments

• 265CB9A1-8980-47CF-A295-CEC8C3CFDAB5.jpeg
    265CB9A1-8980-47CF-A295-CEC8C3CFDAB5.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 1
I have heard female Syrians like a lot of space. You'd think an Alexander cage would be plenty big enough but for some maybe not! I have a Savic Plaza cage at the moment (two actually). One for our Robo and one for our Syrian. I've only had male Syrians, but Raffy is possible the most confident and energetic one I've had and I often think he could do with something bigger. He is out every single night for ages. He needs to come out a lot.

The picture is worse than I remember but it definitely illustrates the difference!
Yes there is a huge difference isn't there? Our Syrian loves his flying saucer as well. His is in his playpen. He has a wheel in there as well and uses both of them, but mainly the flying saucer.

I have heard female Syrians like a lot of space. You'd think an Alexander cage would be plenty big enough but for some maybe not! I have a Savic Plaza cage at the moment (two actually). One for our Robo and one for our Syrian. I've only had male Syrians, but Raffy is possible the most confident and energetic one I've had and I often think he could do with something bigger. He is out every single night for ages. He needs to come out a lot.
Yeah, I've found my females definitely needs more space! I've had 5 males and 3 females. For the most part females a lot more active and needing the space more. Although, there are always exceptions!

Just to say, if you wanted you could get a platform and put a free standing water bottle on it. That is what I have done with my cage as it is also a tank style. :)

I have the living world eco but due to being in the middle of a house move I have lost the screws! I was given the measurements by another forum member but bought 3 lots of screws from different sellers using those measurements and none of them fitted!

If you are able to extract a screw and measure it, length, diameter and diameter of the head that would be amazing. If it isnt possible dont worry I will probablely find them once I have moved and unpacked.

It is a good cage but I wish it had more ventilation. Great for proper deep bedding and tunnels though.

Back