ikea detolf cage for syrian

saramolloy

Reaction score
hi guys!!
so i recently learnt the ikea detolf is not actually quite suitable for syrians.
i found this out AFTER i got my female syrian cleo 🥲

i’ve had her for a month now and so far she hasn’t displayed any signs of stress. she enjoys burrowing in her 10 inch bedding,
sometimes sleeps out in the open in her enclosure, always super active and just never really visibly stressed.

i’ve been seeing mixed reviews now and i’m afraid- should i change the enclosure? she seems good with it so far. no bar biting or anything. (she has many chews)
is it okay to stick with this enclosure as long as she’s happy with it?

If she seems happy, I wouldn't move her. It's possible that she might want something different as she gets older but you can address that if it happens.

The detolf isn't unsuitable for Syrians per se, it's just that a lot of people find they don't seem content in it due to the limited width and height. However if you have managed to create a good setup in it and your hamster seems content then it's not unsuitable for her.

Yes. It used to be considered suitable for Syrians :) The height was the main issue for fitting the wheel in (but it's possible). And while it's not that deep at 42cm, it makes up for that in length. I don't think you need to change her cage at all, if she's happy in it.

Opinions may have changed in the last few years but it's still a really good sized cage with plenty of floorspace and if set up well I can imagine your hamster is happy :)

Which wheel is that? I don't think I've seen that one. Assume it's an 11" one?

Back