Help me decide

RIPbuddy12

Active member
Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
20
Points
33
Hi all, I’m new. I used to have a hamster, an adorable male Syrian, Buddy in a rather small cage with little enrichment. I have since learned and now I want to prove to myself I can care for a hamster properly, but I’m worried this is the only reason I want another. I don’t think it is, but I’m a worrier ha. If I were to get another, I’m planning on diying a large(ish) cage of at least 100x50x50 cm , and hoping to get a large silent wheel and keeping it in my room(?). I’d adopt from a shelter, preferably an older one so if I decide I’ve proved it, I don’t need to wait another year or 2. This may seem like a crazy post, sorry.
Thanks in advance
 
I'm so sorry about Buddy. These are always slightly difficult decisions, but if it was up to me I'd say - get the hamster :-) There are a lot of choices in cages and enclosures these days, new and second-hand or diy :-)
 
I don’t think it’s a crazy post! In fact, I think I understand what you mean. Would it help to actually create a detailed plan? Like you can list all the materials you would be getting such as food, bedding and enrichment and see if it is doable? And even if it is to “prove” that you can care for a hamster, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it since you would be helping a hamster :)
 
I don’t think it’s a crazy post! In fact, I think I understand what you mean. Would it help to actually create a detailed plan? Like you can list all the materials you would be getting such as food, bedding and enrichment and see if it is doable? And even if it is to “prove” that you can care for a hamster, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it since you would be helping a hamster :)
Thats what I was going to do, thank you :)
 
Hi welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing about what you decide to do 🥰 I hope you do decide to get another hammy 🐹 we're all here to help with any advice you need. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do 🥰💖💕💞 Ness
 
There will always be challenges with hamsters but it is lovely that you loved Buddy so much that you want another hammy. It's great that you are doing so much research and can give a new hamster a lovely home 🏡❤️🐾
 
It can take a bit of creative room rearranging :-) But a 100cm x 50cm cage or enclosure usually sits nicely on top of a chest of drawers or similar - doesn't matter if there's a bit of overhang. I think you said it was to be in your bedroom? If so then maybe not a female Syrian or she could be keeping you awake all night - so a male syrian perhaps or even a robo?

It can also help to get a hamster that's a different colour or species if missing a previous hammy so it's not too much of a reminder - even though they all have their own personalities.
 
It can take a bit of creative room rearranging :-) But a 100cm x 50cm cage or enclosure usually sits nicely on top of a chest of drawers or similar - doesn't matter if there's a bit of overhang. I think you said it was to be in your bedroom? If so then maybe not a female Syrian or she could be keeping you awake all night - so a male syrian perhaps or even a robo?

It can also help to get a hamster that's a different colour or species if missing a previous hammy so it's not too much of a reminder - even though they all have their own personalities.
Thanks, this helps a lot.
 
Back
Top