Guest viewing is limited

Has anyone bought futterparadies food before?

breadbunny

Well-known member
Member
Messages
43
Reaction score
106
Points
63
I’ve heard it’s one of the better mixes out there but there’s no nutritional info in terms of the protein and fat percentages on their website 🤔 I would be buying it as I like the ingredient list but not sure how concerned I should be about the lack of nutritional fact. Or would this all be mitigated if I supplement with a lab block?

IMG_1095.webp
 
The seed mix looks really good. I don't personally use it. I think it probably be OK to use and it should have the right nutritional needs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maz
The ingredients include flour worms (probably mealworms) and silk worms which should have a good fat content. Also sunflower seeds. It looks like a good mixture and is free of soya. You could supplement it with some peanuts and walnuts and pecan nuts as well as a little bit of cheddar cheese or cooked egg if you wanted to. I think it is quite good to offer extra protein and snacks for variety anyway ♥️
 
I've found the mix on their web page. It does look ok. I'm not a fan of lentils, personally, but they are low on the list. It doesn't translate that well as it seems red and green "kernels" are just sorghum and spelt, which is fine. As you say they don't seem to show any analysis on their page, which is not great. If you're buying it from Germany though, Mixerama is good and similar and does show the analysis :-) I get the Goldhamster Gourmet menu from this page. It has 16.5% protein and I supplement with fresh food - chopped hard boiled egg, a couple of walnut halves a week. Although my current syrian is older now so he doesn't need the protein supplement. 16.5% is ok if they're over a year old but needs supplementing in the first year.

However is this for a female syrian? Both the futterparadies and Mixerama one I linked contain red clover - which is fine but it is a herb that can have effects on the uterine system. It's usually recommended not to give it to pregnant females or it can cause abortion. So I'm unsure personally whether red clover is suitable for female syrians at all. It may or may not have positive or negative uterine effects. It's quite low on the list of ingredients though. So the Mixerama Fairytale mix on this page is probably better for a female Syrian as it doesn't contain red clover.




There is also another Syrian hamster mix on Futter Paradies that doesn't contain red clover or lentils, which would be better - although again - no analysis.



Personally I'd get the Mixerama Fairytale :-) But if the Futter Paradies is the only one you can get,it could probably work out or maybe mix it with something else. Can you get Mixerama or the Gold nature one?
 
Last edited:
@Maz wow that’s such a detailed analysis. Thank you! I totally had no idea about the red clover and I didn’t even realise it was on the list! My eyes glazed over while reading the long list of ingredients 🤣 I also bought the unique formula which has

: Oatmeal, Rye, Barley, Oat Seeds, Wheat, Spelt, Pea Flakes, Corn, Milo, Dari, Sunflower Seeds, Peanuts, Carrots, Paprika, Flourworms, Zucchini, Beetroot, Parsnip, Cardi Seed, Raisins, Pumpkin Seeds, Paddy Rice, Broccoli, Grasshoppers, Silkworms, Cabbage Seeds, Grass Seeds, Spinach Seeds, Radish Seeds, Carrot Seeds, Puffed Rice, Marigolds, Turnips, Sesame Seeds, Dandelion Root, Green Oats, Cornflowers, Peppermint, Dandelion, Chamomile

So I think I would be giving this to my female hamster while the boys would get the ASB with red clover.

The mixerama looks good too! I like that it has the nutrition facts listed and it’s interesting that it contains shrimps as the protein source! Do your hamsters eat the shrimps?
 
The ingredients include flour worms (probably mealworms) and silk worms which should have a good fat content. Also sunflower seeds. It looks like a good mixture and is free of soya. You could supplement it with some peanuts and walnuts and pecan nuts as well as a little bit of cheddar cheese or cooked egg if you wanted to. I think it is quite good to offer extra protein and snacks for variety anyway ♥️

Yes I think it is mealworms from the photos on the website 😄 I have a lot of extra protein sources in my fridge like freeze dried cottage cheese and chicken which should help ❤️
 
@Maz wow that’s such a detailed analysis. Thank you! I totally had no idea about the red clover and I didn’t even realise it was on the list! My eyes glazed over while reading the long list of ingredients 🤣 I also bought the unique formula which has

: Oatmeal, Rye, Barley, Oat Seeds, Wheat, Spelt, Pea Flakes, Corn, Milo, Dari, Sunflower Seeds, Peanuts, Carrots, Paprika, Flourworms, Zucchini, Beetroot, Parsnip, Cardi Seed, Raisins, Pumpkin Seeds, Paddy Rice, Broccoli, Grasshoppers, Silkworms, Cabbage Seeds, Grass Seeds, Spinach Seeds, Radish Seeds, Carrot Seeds, Puffed Rice, Marigolds, Turnips, Sesame Seeds, Dandelion Root, Green Oats, Cornflowers, Peppermint, Dandelion, Chamomile

So I think I would be giving this to my female hamster while the boys would get the ASB with red clover.

The mixerama looks good too! I like that it has the nutrition facts listed and it’s interesting that it contains shrimps as the protein source! Do your hamsters eat the shrimps?
That sounds good :-) My hamster doesn't have the Fairytale mix - he has the Gourmet mix, which doesn't have shrimps - so I don't know if he'd eat them or not! :-)

I think you'd just have to assume the analysis is low on protein and the ingredients sound fine otherwise. Lab block seems to be out of fashion these days, so supplementing protein could be either fresh food - egg, walnuts etc - Niteangel does tofu bites as well - or some people give 2 or 3 science selective pellets a day, separate from the main mix, as that contains everything needed.
 
That sounds good :-) My hamster doesn't have the Fairytale mix - he has the Gourmet mix, which doesn't have shrimps - so I don't know if he'd eat them or not! :-)

I think you'd just have to assume the analysis is low on protein and the ingredients sound fine otherwise. Lab block seems to be out of fashion these days, so supplementing protein could be either fresh food - egg, walnuts etc - Niteangel does tofu bites as well - or some people give 2 or 3 science selective pellets a day, separate from the main mix, as that contains everything needed.

Oh sorry I completely missed that! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Teddy loves tofu which is a good thing because he doesn’t like animal protein! I’ve put chicken and some small dried fish which he ignores. Honestly I’m squeamish about worms but for the well being of my hamsters I decided to let them try a German seed mix 🤣 Hopefully Teddy likes insects better then I wouldn’t have to worry so much about his protein intake ❤️

And yes lab blocks have kinda fallen out of favour. I remember 10 years ago there won’t much good commercial seed mixes but the German mixes have always been recommended although it was not easy to get it. And at that time the lab block recommended was mazuri rat and mouse! Although now there’s a hamster version but I do not see it recommended much anymore.
 
I think there was a bit of a US/Uk divide over lab block :-) Mazuri rat and mouse was popular in the US. It wasn't available in the Uk I think and we used to do the fresh food or science selective protein supplement instead, as there were also some concerns about soya back then - especially the GM version which was most of them unless it was an organic mix (less of an issue now as most good mixes don't rely on soya for protein any more). I'm not sure but I believe it's fallen out of favour in the US as well now.
 
I think there was a bit of a US/Uk divide over lab block :-) Mazuri rat and mouse was popular in the US. It wasn't available in the Uk I think and we used to do the fresh food or science selective protein supplement instead, as there were also some concerns about soya back then - especially the GM version which was most of them unless it was an organic mix (less of an issue now as most good mixes don't rely on soya for protein any more). I'm not sure but I believe it's fallen out of favour in the US as well now.

Right because I was mostly hanging out in US heavy places. I’m so glad that proper seed mixes are more popular now ❤️ Although now that you mentioned the soybeans, it made me recall some threads where lentils seem to be a bit iffy too (but I know seed mixes like to include lentils to boost the protein).
 
Back
Top