Hamster shopping

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
So being unwell can be bad for the bank balance! I've been doing the odd bit of online hamster shopping. Tino is due a cage upgrade soon so I have an excuse as I will need more stuff to fill the cage. I have the basics already (house, wheel, cork logs) so was just looking for the odd extra item and forage.

I've sent for the following

Sunflower spray from Small Sprouts on Etsy (I've had the odd thing from them before). I bought a single sunflower previously but a few would be useful - I can use more than one and save one or two for the future.

I've never been a big one for using branches in cages as the vine branch I bought years ago has the odd spiky bit on, and hollows where feet could get trapped. I don't know where people find good branches - maybe they adapt them or sand them. I finally binned the vine branch (which wasn't very big) after years of nearly using it and not quite. My first one was slightly better and that was in Charlie's first cage but the replacement wasn't good.

However I believe the bamboo root branches have less issues like that but they are usually sold out. So I've sent for this one from Hope's Healthy treats as they're in stock again. I didn't want one too big as there are other things to go in the cage, but have ordered the small rather than extra small (which is apparently 30 to 40 cm so not that small!) If resting on a house roof and something else, it could provide something to sit under like a bridge, as well as climb over. My go-to's are cork logs but this is just for a change, and as well as a cork log.

I also like using Hamsters We Love, who have their own web page and ship fairly quickly and send good quality stuff. I recently bought some lovely big whole sunflower seeds from there, and pumpkin seeds in their shells. So decided to get some sprays from there as I'm fed up with the Rosewood pick n fly not having much variety.

So I've bought some flax sprays, red sorghum, pannicle millet, red millet and some mixed flower petals (my current bag is getting low). I've not found Syrians that interested in flower petals so far so have tried a variety of blue mallow, calendula/marigold, and a rose flower mix and just see if either of them like any of those or eat them! If not, they will add a bit of variety and last a long time.

I've tended to shy away from things like wheat, oats and barley in case a hamster spiked themselves in the eye or something! But I'm aware a lot of people use them. Mind you Syrians can do silly things!

The sunflower spray has arrived already and is in the freezer (only just fits! The stems are long) and the bamboo root has arrived but I haven't inspected it yet or opened the box. That can be baked.

I won't be changing Tino's cage until I'm well again so it could be at least a couple of weeks but just getting organised!

I've also bought another hay covered corner tunnel and hide/step from Rodipet. Raffy has these and likes them. He likes the hide as a step next to his house. He showed more interest in the tunnel out of the cage than in it, but it fills a bit of floor space (I think he prefers his pringles tube though!).

These are the only ones out of the Rodipet "enterrado" range that are just hay covered (like the carrot cottages), I don't like the scratchy ones they sell! (And I'm aware elusive feels the same about those!)

And have sent for some small cork bark pieces from Getzoo - not quite sure what I'll do with those yet but they might be good for steps as well.

The cork bark was a bit expensive, but I've found all kinds of useful uses for these and they last for years for various hamsters.

Not sure what I'll do with the round ones yet

It all looks lovely! I'm very tempted by those sunflower sprays.

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Yes I've had one before and it's a bit more interesting than just a sunflower head without the petals. Although the stems do seem to break quite easily (or did last time) then the sunflower head ends up on the substrate anyway.

That looks like a good haul, I know what you mean, anything that leaves you with extra time online is great for the hams & bad for the bank balance!

I don’t think I’d dare try the sunflower sprays, I think both of mine could probably demolish a whole one in a single night!

I haven’t tried the bamboo root, they always look. bit big & heavy, look forward to seeing yours & what you do with it.
I’m the same with the vine branches but I like cork branches from the cork shed.

• Love
I love the cork shed! Ah yes I forgot they did solid cork branches - aren't they too long to fit in the oven? I'm expecting Raffy and Tino to maybe sniff and ignore the sunflowers - but I might be wrong!

They do a variety of sizes, it’s like the cork tubes what you see is what you get so I guess it depends on what’s in stock but I got a couple of fairly short ones for the hams & some long ones for the ‘pedes!

• Love
Ah good point, you can choose the sizes on there.

So being unwell can be bad for the bank balance! I've been doing the odd bit of online hamster shopping. Tino is due a cage upgrade soon so I have an excuse as I will need more stuff to fill the cage. I have the basics already (house, wheel, cork logs) so was just looking for the odd extra item and forage.

I've sent for the following

Sunflower spray from Small Sprouts on Etsy (I've had the odd thing from them before). I bought a single sunflower previously but a few would be useful - I can use more than one and save one or two for the future.

I've never been a big one for using branches in cages as the vine branch I bought years ago has the odd spiky bit on, and hollows where feet could get trapped. I don't know where people find good branches - maybe they adapt them or sand them. I finally binned the vine branch (which wasn't very big) after years of nearly using it and not quite. My first one was slightly better and that was in Charlie's first cage but the replacement wasn't good.

However I believe the bamboo root branches have less issues like that but they are usually sold out. So I've sent for this one from Hope's Healthy treats as they're in stock again. I didn't want one too big as there are other things to go in the cage, but have ordered the small rather than extra small (which is apparently 30 to 40 cm so not that small!) If resting on a house roof and something else, it could provide something to sit under like a bridge, as well as climb over. My go-to's are cork logs but this is just for a change, and as well as a cork log.

I also like using Hamsters We Love, who have their own web page and ship fairly quickly and send good quality stuff. I recently bought some lovely big whole sunflower seeds from there, and pumpkin seeds in their shells. So decided to get some sprays from there as I'm fed up with the Rosewood pick n fly not having much variety.

So I've bought some flax sprays, red sorghum, pannicle millet, red millet and some mixed flower petals (my current bag is getting low). I've not found Syrians that interested in flower petals so far so have tried a variety of blue mallow, calendula/marigold, and a rose flower mix and just see if either of them like any of those or eat them! If not, they will add a bit of variety and last a long time.

I've tended to shy away from things like wheat, oats and barley in case a hamster spiked themselves in the eye or something! But I'm aware a lot of people use them. Mind you Syrians can do silly things!

The sunflower spray has arrived already and is in the freezer (only just fits! The stems are long) and the bamboo root has arrived but I haven't inspected it yet or opened the box. That can be baked.

I won't be changing Tino's cage until I'm well again so it could be at least a couple of weeks but just getting organised!

I've also bought another hay covered corner tunnel and hide/step from Rodipet. Raffy has these and likes them. He likes the hide as a step next to his house. He showed more interest in the tunnel out of the cage than in it, but it fills a bit of floor space (I think he prefers his pringles tube though!).

These are the only ones out of the Rodipet "enterrado" range that are just hay covered (like the carrot cottages), I don't like the scratchy ones they sell! (And I'm aware elusive feels the same about those!)

And have sent for some small cork bark pieces from Getzoo - not quite sure what I'll do with those yet but they might be good for steps as well.

The cork bark was a bit expensive, but I've found all kinds of useful uses for these and they last for years for various hamsters.

Not sure what I'll do with the round ones yet

Sounds like quite a shopping spree hope you are feeling better soon so you can enjoy organising all of the new things as they arrive. If Tino could understand he would be so excited at the sound of a delivery van 🙂

Back