Hamster House quality control

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
There are quite a lot of multiroom houses available these days from various different sellers. Originally it was mainly just Rodipet and Getzoo who make very good hamster houses that are safe and well made.

However I think some of them maybe aren’t so safe. Niteangel make one that is sold on Amazon. After I had a parcel go astray and needed a house quickly for Molly’s cage, I decided to order the Niteangel dwarf sized 6 room one. I think that and the Syrian sized one in particular, need to come with a safety warning - there have been issues with the roof for some people and I can see why now I’ve had one. I’m not sure what the wood is but it feels very heavy and so the roof feels quite heavy and only has two pegs inside to stop it sliding off. However the pegs are not accurate enough to make a secure fitting lid. On the one hand it lifts up easily - on the other hand there are reports and reviews - mainly of the Syrian one which is bigger and therefore heavier- of hamsters getting killed by pushing the roof up and it coming down on them. More so if there are heavy items on the roof (Niteangel recommends putting heavy items on the roof to keep it in place).

The dwarf one is the same. Rainbow made me aware of the reviews of the hamsters who had been killed and so I was careful with Molly’s to have it wedged down by the Perspex bolts at the sides of the cage- so it couldn’t move. I think it’s more of an issue with the Syrian one though.

The Rodipet and getzoo houses have securely fitting roofs that can’t be easily pushed up and are made of lighter birch plywood.

The Happy Henry Homes houses also have roofs that are easily pushed up but I think they are fine - Raffy has one at the moment - as the roof is very light and thin birch plywood.

But there are various unknown brands of multiroom houses and some cottage industry ones online so please check that a roof fits securely if you get one and isn’t too heavy wood.

The issues with the Syrian niteangel one appeared to be a broken neck in at least one instance - where the hamster pushed the roof up and tried to climb over a partition between one room and the next and the roof came down.

Why a hamster would want to do that is another matter! I personally have never had a hamster try to push a roof up on a house.

I would have expected better of niteangel!!

There are quite a lot of multiroom houses available these days from various different sellers. Originally it was mainly just Rodipet and Getzoo who make very good hamster houses that are safe and well made.

However I think some of them maybe aren’t so safe. Niteangel make one that is sold on Amazon. After I had a parcel go astray and needed a house quickly for Molly’s cage, I decided to order the Niteangel dwarf sized 6 room one. I think that and the Syrian sized one in particular, need to come with a safety warning - there have been issues with the roof for some people and I can see why now I’ve had one. I’m not sure what the wood is but it feels very heavy and so the roof feels quite heavy and only has two pegs inside to stop it sliding off. However the pegs are not accurate enough to make a secure fitting lid. On the one hand it lifts up easily - on the other hand there are reports and reviews - mainly of the Syrian one which is bigger and therefore heavier- of hamsters getting killed by pushing the roof up and it coming down on them. More so if there are heavy items on the roof (Niteangel recommends putting heavy items on the roof to keep it in place).

The dwarf one is the same. Rainbow made me aware of the reviews of the hamsters who had been killed and so I was careful with Molly’s to have it wedged down by the Perspex bolts at the sides of the cage- so it couldn’t move. I think it’s more of an issue with the Syrian one though.

The Rodipet and getzoo houses have securely fitting roofs that can’t be easily pushed up and are made of lighter birch plywood.

The Happy Henry Homes houses also have roofs that are easily pushed up but I think they are fine - Raffy has one at the moment - as the roof is very light and thin birch plywood.

But there are various unknown brands of multiroom houses and some cottage industry ones online so please check that a roof fits securely if you get one and isn’t too heavy wood.

The issues with the Syrian niteangel one appeared to be a broken neck in at least one instance - where the hamster pushed the roof up and tried to climb over a partition between one room and the next and the roof came down.

Why a hamster would want to do that is another matter! I personally have never had a hamster try to push a roof up on a house.
A good review and a reminder to check things out because it seems hamsters have a way of always doing the unexpected

Back