Hamster Heaven

Jain

Dwarfie Days
Reaction score
The worst thing is the curved bottom cuts down the size considerably hard to get deep substrate and balance a big wheel and water dishes tubes and penthouse useless green shelf proving dangerous for a chubby fully grown dwarfie who squeezes into tiny gap to get to top ignores ladders tried 3 types. On the plus side its compact when space is short good ventilation from top being completely wired adapt with home made supported platforms hamster Pete seems very happy with it and can't understand why I'm so critical it meets his needs.

The worst thing is the curved bottom cuts down the size considerably hard to get deep substrate and balance a big wheel and water dishes tubes and penthouse useless green shelf proving dangerous for a chubby fully grown dwarfie who squeezes into tiny gap to get to top ignores ladders tried 3 types. On the plus side its compact when space is short good ventilation from top being completely wired decent sized drop down front opening adapt with home made supported platforms hamster Pete seems very happy with it and can't understand why I'm so critical it meets his needs.

I like the Hamster Heaven for some dwarfs, even though it's not popular nowadays. Some dwarfs do need more space than the HH can offer but I find it works really well for others.

I agree that the curved base is very annoying. I've never used any of the shelves that come with the cage. The green shelf seems a bit pointless to me as you can't put anything on it and the purple shelf is awkward too.

Although changes are generally not advised I'm afraid due to observing Pete squeezing through the tiniest gap on the upward no mean fete now he's fully grown or launching himself on the downward positioning enrichment so he dosent land on it became a nightmare and he ignored any kind of ladder the pink shelf didn't seem to fit the bill either so o/h is currently making customised platforms to replace the green shelf. Fortunately Pete actually seems to get excited by new additions so hopefully he will not mind loosing his green shelf he only ever went onto it to his food bowl anyway

Although changes are generally not advised I'm afraid due to observing Pete squeezing through the tiniest gap on the upward no mean fete now he's fully grown or launching himself on the downward positioning enrichment so he dosent land on it became a nightmare and he ignored any kind of ladder the pink shelf didn't seem to fit the bill either so o/h is currently making customised platforms to replace the green shelf. Fortunately Pete actually seems to get excited by new additions so hopefully he will not mind loosing his green shelf he only ever went onto it to his food bowl anyway
Changes are fine if they make the cage work better for the hamster. Some hamsters do like new things anyway :)

They usually like new things. They can get a bit stressy about old things being taken away, but I don't think the loss of the green shelf will bother him much - didn't you have it at substrate level anyway? I can't remember now.

They usually like new things. They can get a bit stressy about old things being taken away, but I don't think the loss of the green shelf will bother him much - didn't you have it at substrate level anyway? I can't remember now.
I did at first but he only ever made a short into a corner and it was difficult with keeping the large wheel stable and his water bowls he never used the bottle even though its always been there so I kept a third of the cage topped up to green shelf level the rest was just an inch or so with his tubes, wheel, log, sand bath etc which he seemed to enjoy running in out and around also had over 6 " in opposite corner behind his steps/hide he has a huge dig box but just does a dive down and goes to sleep doesn't seem to want to make tunnels.

Photo 1 layout as is

Attachments

• 20230907_190251.jpg
    20230907_190251.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 16
Photo 2 Pete in left side of duo room

Attachments

• 20230907_190306.jpg
    20230907_190306.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
Albert lives in a HH. He's very happy in there. I got rid of the pink and green shelves. I fill the base right to the top with substrate because Albert loves to dig, tunnel and burrow down.

When I used that equivalent cage (it was a Savic Mickey 2XL but identical to the Hamster Heaven apart from smaller bar spacing and no tubes). I also eventually went without shelves, and instead used a large guinea pig house as a hide, which doubled up as a shelf :) Then just had a small lava ledge as an extra little shelf just above and beyond the house roof. That was for a Syrian. A large guinea pig house may be too large for a dwarf hamster, but you could maybe think about a multiroom house - they also have a flat roof that can double up as a shelf. Although it sounds like your H is making some shelves anyway :)

I think the HH works best with both plastic shelves removed. I find that shelves and ramps work better than freestanding platforms. Also with a wheel that attaches to the bars like a MouseBro you can fill the whole base with substrate and don't have to worry about the wheel getting jammed or unbalanced. I use the inexpensive Trixie corner shelves and a Ferplast sin guinea pig house for dwarfs and Robos. Best to cover the holes though. I think by removing the green shelf you could free up a lot of space.

Have you seen my Hamster Heaven set ups thread?

I think the HH works best with both plastic shelves removed. I find that shelves and ramps work better than freestanding platforms. Also with a wheel that attaches to the bars like a MouseBro you can fill the whole base with substrate and don't have to worry about the wheel getting jammed or unbalanced. I use the inexpensive Trixie corner shelves and a Ferplast sin guinea pig house for dwarfs and Robos. Best to cover the holes though. I think by removing the green shelf you could free up a lot of space.

Have you seen my Hamster Heaven set ups thread?

I looked at your HH thread (many times) while wondering what would seem to work best for Pete observing what he seems to like and his regular routine he did have a larger percentage of substrate for quite a while but he only ever made one 6" tunnel into one corner where he sometimes slept and put his hord that area will be kept deep as will the part under the new platforms be deep enough for him to tunnel under should he decide to if Pete shows any sign of being disturbed then there's enough pine shelving left to make some shelves thank you for your input will let you know how this works out.

I’ve never used the shelves that come with the HH, I treat all cages the same really, anything that comes with them goes in the bin & I start from scratch.
I make platforms for the wheel & sand bath & put dowels on the house to raise it above the substrate then any other hides, tunnels etc can go on the substrate.
The base isn’t that deep & platforms can’t be that high with a 9” wheel but it does still give them a decent depth of substrate over the whole cage base that way & gives them the opportunity to use it as they please.
I often find they tend to burrow more when they have things to burrow under, the wheel platform is often a favourite place for some reason.

It’s a lot easier to do a set up from scratch than trying to change one that a hamster has lived in for some time but I’m sure you’ll come up with something that works for Pete.

All hamsters are different with different needs.
My Albert doesn't like shelves. I've tried him with shelves a few times and he always has a tantrum and wees all over them. He loves his wooden house but I'm not allowed to put anything on top of it because again he'll have a tantrum and wee all over it. He also loves sitting on top of his carrot cottage.
You can get ideas from other people's setups but at the end of the day you know what's best for your little Pete 💕

Love Albert's way of showing his displeasure when we had dogs and a cat our cat peed in the dogs bed if he thought we made to much fuss of the dogs sadly neither are no longer with us Pete has big boots to fill thank you for the input and the memories.

I think, looking at the photos, I would remove the green shelf and put something else at that end. The other half of the cage will still be familiar for him so it shouldn't be too much upheaval. It's just working out how to use that end where the green shelf was. Rather than more shelves, you could maybe just put a large house there. Eg a shoebox house? Cut the base out of the shoe box and keep the lid as a lift off roof. And cut a hole for a door. It will also double up as shelf :) So a little ramp up to the house roof maybe. He will probably really like it as it'll be dark inside. He may build a nest in it or he may just burrow under it. You could try putting a litter tray inside it as well as it would be large enough.

Thank you for your input I do like to read other options/opinions but the platforms were all reading for installing so attached photo of finished endeavours I'm not sure about the pink hide may replace it with the ceramic one which he only used as a surprise food store everything else at the far end is pretty much the same he does have plenty of room to burrow under both shelves and can make a tunnel all round on 2 sides but he probably won't. I feel that it's a lot safer now. I have a video but haven't had time to get it onto YouTube will do after the weekend he went in checked everything out it was almost as though he shrugged his shoulders and said fine definitely no manic stressing.

Oops didn't attach 1st time I've done this lots of times attach files go to photos press select but I'm missing something probably because I'm rushing going out soon eureka I'd tried to post the video sorry folks got there in the end.

Attachments

• 20230908_161205.jpg
    20230908_161205.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230908_160731.jpg
    20230908_160731.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That looks like a nice big shelf at that end :) I would add more substrate in the rest of the cage though.

Back