Guest viewing is limited

Hamster Eye closed + getting older

Hammy Chum

Hamster Fanatic
Member
Messages
166
Reaction score
184
Points
246
Advice please!

Chumley is getting older - we got him in January 2025 and we think he was around 8 weeks old then. Over the last month or so I've definitely noticed him using his wheel much less - at least when we are up. He will sort of go in it and walk for a few secs then come back out. Is that normal at his age? Ive tried to make sure his cage is mostly on a level now and easier for him as possible.

However, the issue thats been worrying me slightly is he has been coming out in the evenings for the last week or so with his right eye closed. Its not very swollen from what i can see (it seems a bit in a pic below but i think thats fluff?), no pus, its not red, just closed like its stuck (obvs googled too!). Ive tried to get a pic when he comes out for a drink when he just wakes up which is when its really noticeable - he comes out around 7pm for a drink, does some pouching and heads back in for another nap. Obvs with any hamster pic, he's never still!

IMG_0703.webp

IMG_0704.webp

Which obviously I would be super worried about - however... when he comes BACK out, he will have a potter, go and then do a clean up etc etc and AFTER that... it gradually opens up after a bit, to seem almost normal. See photo below for what its like after hes been out a while??

IMG_0682.webp

Then the next night its the same again!

I've not made any changes to his bedding... he's probably due a clean out in his den but ive hated disturbing him (but will try that??) Could it be some kind of allergy?? But its only the one side? He is eating and drinking normally. Washing, just pottering around. He isnt v active but pottering. he goes in his sand. Ate his cucumber and some broccoli this week. Weeing normally. Enjoyed his new stick as a treat. Definitely napping more than before. But seems ok in myself, just old, bless him.

What do i do? Hes not handable (as in to be picked up) and for a vet trip iI'd need to wake him up early, try and get him in his carrier and take him out which would be v v stressful for him (and i know he'd probably need a whiff of gas to be examined in any way) Obvs I'd take him if necessary but it would be a lot for him to go through at his age.

Help! I just dont know how to help our baby boy. Or what to do!
 
Last edited:
Hi. Don't worry, this is very common as they get older. They get a sticky eye - sometimes both eyes. It can free up on it's own but if it's still like that after a few hours, you just need to dab it with saline - I use the corner of a microfibre cloth dipped in the saline (not too wet so it doesn't drip all over him), some people use a cotton bud. If you have little pods of saline eye wash from a first aid kit they are fine - it's literally just mild salt water. Otherwise you can just make it. A pint of boiling water and dissolve a teaspoon of salt in it, then let it go cold - or almost cold but not quite.

While they are not keen on being held to have it dabbed, I've found they don't usually object too much and always seem very happy once it's open again!

It's just one of the older age things they start with unfortunately. So this is fairly standard. However, if it ever looked more serious, like swelling round the eye or a bulging eye, you'd need to see a vet - but that would be something different. This is more like sleep in their eyes.
 
Hi Maz, thank you so much for your reply. Ive been so worried although I did see your post just now re older hamsters which reassured me a little. I wont be able to hold him to dab it if needed (we've never been able to!) but we can give him little strokes) so I could see if I could try if needed - I'd be so worried Id poke him in the eye or something though!

Is it likely to just be like that from now on? I wonder why just the right eye?

What do you think about using wheel less is that normal too?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maz
They can start slowing down as they get older. He might still be using the wheel at night? If not then he could be getting some arthritis - so asking the vet for some metacam could help him get back to wheeling :-)

Yes it's likely to keep recurring, the sticky eye - there's no reason why it's one eye or the other - it could end up being both or one or the other! If it is freeing itself at the moment then don't worry. It's difficult if he's not handleable, but not impossible. You'd just have to sit in the playpen with him, wear gloves if you're worried he'll bite, and wrap him in a blanket so he can't wriggle free! It shouldn't be too bad. Just use the corner of a microfibre cloth dipped in the saline. And gently dab. It can take 3 to 5 dabs before it frees up I find - wetting it again in between but not too wet.
 
he might be ok just sitting in cage and me trying to be fair - he actually prefers a stroke in there to playpen (hes never been a huge fan of that either, our funny boy!).

So keep monitoring and if hes freeing it, its ok?

Would the vet need to see him for metacam? Or is it something theyd prescribe without?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maz
Sorry to hear Chumley isn't using his wheel much and has a closed eye at times. I hope he will be OK. Yes, perhaps some Metacam will help ♥️🙏
 
Unfortunately yes they won't prescribe metacam without seeing him - but then it usually lasts for about 6 months after that. Well most vets won't anyway. I think it sounds like he would definitely benefit from it. Older hamsters get all kinds of things like toothache or arthritis and it can give them a new lease of life. Tino had taken to his house and stopped using his wheel but when he started on metacam it really did give him a new lease of life again and he was active and even having the odd little run on the wheel.
 
I might phone up our vet and ask if they would prescribe without seeing him, worth a try I guess! It would hugely stress him out going otherwise I think so I'd have to weigh it up! So tricky.
 
I might phone up our vet and ask if they would prescribe without seeing him, worth a try I guess! It would hugely stress him out going otherwise I think so I'd have to weigh it up! So tricky.
Good luck, I hope everything goes well ♥️🙏🐾
 
I might phone up our vet and ask if they would prescribe without seeing him, worth a try I guess! It would hugely stress him out going otherwise I think so I'd have to weigh it up! So tricky.
I don't think they would. They need to weigh him to work out the correct dose. I know it's a worry thinking it's stressing them but honestly it's fine :-) He is likely to be a bit stressed or scatty for a couple of days after a vet visit and then be perfectly fine - they soon forget :-) I'm sure you could get him into a pet carrier - via a tube or mug :-) Just put plenty of bedding in the pet carrier, some treats and a bit of hamster mix and a bit of cucumber for hydration and he'll be fine. They often just go to sleep in the pet carrier.
 
Back
Top