Guest viewing is limited

Coconut Fibre

teeny_tiny_tony123

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve recently heard about using coconut fibre in hamster cages as a burrowing activity and would like to try this out with Toni! Would it be possible if I could have some more information regarding coconut fibre, please? Thank you 😊

Reactions: Maz
Coconut fibre or coir as it’s also known can be great for dig boxes but I would only use it for out of cage time personally.
It holds moisture really well so if used in the cage could cause damp & mould issues, even in a separate area in the cage like a dig box it will tend to get mixed in with the other substrate.
You can buy it in several forms, I would avoid the bricks as you have to soak them to break them up & they take ages to dry out again.
You can buy bags of loose coir which are easier to use just make sure it’s completely dry before use.

Reactions: Maz
Coconut fibre or coir as it’s also known can be great for dig boxes but I would only use it for out of cage time personally.
It holds moisture really well so if used in the cage could cause damp & mould issues, even in a separate area in the cage like a dig box it will tend to get mixed in with the other substrate.
You can buy it in several forms, I would avoid the bricks as you have to soak them to break them up & they take ages to dry out again.
You can buy bags of loose coir which are easier to use just make sure it’s completely dry before use.
Thank you! This is very helpful. 🙂

Back