Basic budget set up August 2023

A lot of people think that - go up rather than out :) But hamsters are bad climbers and tend to fall and get injured. So they do better with more "terrain" at floor level, and deep bedding so they can dig burrows and get cosy under the substrate under their house. It could take up quite a bit of space with two cages and there are cheaper options than the niteangel cages (although you might find someone selling one second hand maybe). Another option - which might not be easy to think about - would be to rehome one hamster and get a large cage for the other one.

A 40 gallon breeder tank is about the smallest you want to go really - that's about 3 feet long by 18" deep.

If you have cats and dogs, is it possible to have the hamsters in a room where the other pets don't go? Bin cages are lighter and easier than tanks, but do involve a little bit of diy. But Petco often have dollar per gallon sales, so then you can get a 40 gallon tank for $40 :) But the lid will cost extra.

Hello, I am new to the forum and look forward to learning lots from everyone. I have already made every rookie move there is so please allow my some grace and excuse my ignorance, I promise I am trying very hard and wish to give my little guys a wonderful life. I certainly would not have showed up here and admitted to my mistakes if not. LOL I am a pet lover, I have 2 elderly dogs, 2 crazy cats and now 2 dwarf hamsters, Mike and Harvey. I am also an empty-nester working from home. I will do an into thread and get caught up but right now I need to deal with the cage situation. I know everyone hates the Crittertrail cages, and I get it but is it not possible to link those to a larger cage? Are they terrible as a whole or just as the "main enclosure" for these sweet babies? I certainly do not want to do anything to harm them but I'm thinking about how to stack and link and create a fortress. Thanks in advance!🙃
How are your hamsters doing? :)

How are your hamsters doing? :)
Oh my goodness, thank you for asking. They are doing well. Mike actually sat there and ate some broccoli while I held it. They are starting to know my voice and come over to see what I am doing (okay they smell me but I can dream.) LOL Still working on items for the cage but we're getting there. I have been watching them closely for any signs of aggression, so far so good but I will stay vigilant. I'm still trying to get good pics of them without freaking them out too much. Here is a pic of the cage right after I set it up, I've since turned the door, added locks, added toys, etc. oh and I lowered the water bottles. Basically they have 2 of everything.

Attachments

• IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8053.jpg
    IMG_8053.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 12
Oh my goodness, thank you for asking. They are doing well. Mike actually sat there and ate some broccoli while I held it. They are starting to know my voice and come over to see what I am doing (okay they smell me but I can dream.) LOL Still working on items for the cage but we're getting there. I have been watching them closely for any signs of aggression, so far so good but I will stay vigilant. I'm still trying to get good pics of them without freaking them out too much. Here is a pic of the cage right after I set it up, I've since turned the door, added locks, added toys, etc. oh and I lowered the water bottles. Basically they have 2 of everything.
They are very cute pictures of Mike and Harvey. I believe they are coming to you as they recognise your voice. Hamsters are good at learning their favourite humans voices.😊

If anyone can make that even more budget - set out below! It's a shame that a basic budget set up can't be achieved for less than a £100. Bedding is not cheap any more (and I think the Fitch works out the cheapest for the amount).
Hamsters aren't necessarily inexpensive pets. I think it's worth investing in their health at the beginning as it may help to postpone or avoid vet's bills. Also, a large, well set up cage is much easier to maintain and keep clean than a small one where the tennant is living near his or her toilet.

A lot of people think that - go up rather than out :) But hamsters are bad climbers and tend to fall and get injured. So they do better with more "terrain" at floor level, and deep bedding so they can dig burrows and get cosy under the substrate under their house. It could take up quite a bit of space with two cages and there are cheaper options than the niteangel cages (although you might find someone selling one second hand maybe). Another option - which might not be easy to think about - would be to rehome one hamster and get a large cage for the other one.

A 40 gallon breeder tank is about the smallest you want to go really - that's about 3 feet long by 18" deep.
Hamsters are made for digging!

Very nice set up!

I like the extra large bowl. I was reading that cats hate having their whiskers bent by their feeding bowl. I wonder if hamsters have the same issue.

That is something I hadn’t thought about before! Roborovski hamsters tend to actually sit on the bowl when eating so maybe that doesn’t bother them - or maybe their visits aren’t long enough :)

Back