Guest viewing is limited

Hamster peeing on wheel

Wood.worm

Reaction score
Hi
My hamster (dwarf mix) has started peeing on her wheel. For that last 3 days she has been peeing a lot on her wheel. I have only had her from a rescue for 3 weeks and she doesn’t seem stressed. Should I be concerned?

This sounds fairly normal to me! Other members are more familiar with dwarf hamsters than me so I'll wait till they reply. All hamsters vary in their habits but peeing in the wheel does seem quite common :)

Completely normal, most hamsters seem to do it. Possibly hamsters would scent mark on the move in the wild to help them navigate over distances. I think they find if reassuring

That good to know. I have a habit of stressing at nothing 😂

• Love
Reactions: Maz
I think we all do that with a new hamster! We worry about everything and what's ok and what's normal. It's all part of being a new hamster Mum :)
Do you give her any fresh veg? Giving them a tiny bit daily is good (a piece no bigger than their ear) - eg broccoli, cucumber or carrot. But initially only every 3rd day till they get used to it then daily after a couple of weeks. I mention that because it's a reassuring way to know they are ok if you don't see them for a while! If the veg has gone next morning, you know they're fine. Or if you can see it's been part eaten. They LOVE fresh veg and can't resist it!

All my hams have peed in the wheel, I think it may be more common with Russian & Chinese hams but it is perfectly normal, or at least they think so!

Back